Drilling into lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on the following - put up a curtain rail today, some parts of the wall were easy to drill into, but the areas directly above the window could only drill in about 2cms, I am assuming this is the lintel I'm hitting.
I was using a bog standard 700w 240v hammer drill with an ordinary masony bit (which started glowing red after a couple of minutes). I changed to a metal bit to see if that would make any difference but the same thing happened. Do I need a faster drill or a better drill bit in order to get through.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
no you need a decent sds drill,something like a bosch blue and it should do it like knife through butter,compared to what you are using.

Thanks gregers. Can you recommend any specific model? I take it is all in the wattage of the drill rather than the actual bit that makes the difference.

Sponsored Links
Thanks gregers. Can you recommend any specific model? I take it is all in the wattage of the drill rather than the actual bit that makes the difference.
IT`s the SDS that makes the difference ;) the drill actually hammers its self with a small pneumatic chamber inside . Hammer drill, where you push like buggery to get a loud noise and no action - because all you have inside is a cam- are only fit for boot sales ;)

cheers guys that's very helpful. Cannot wait to get rid of my poxy hammer drill now.

Like Chukka says - you may have a catnic steel lintel :idea: you could get a magnet that mechanics use for recovering dropped screws . small , on the end of a stick like a car ariel :idea: make a hole in the wall and poke it thru`. that`ll show a metal lintel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back