installing a new upvc window in a new wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have searched the forum but have some questions, How do i fix the window into new brick work ( i do now want to drill bricks i have just laid is there a special fixing) What are wedges used for and will i need some and finally how does the glazing panel fit into the frame ( when my front windows were fitted they managed to break a panel while fitting it ) any help will be greatly appreciated regards beerboy

Sponsored Links
Personally id of placed your window in and bricked around it and cemented around the fixings.

Fixing wise you have a choice...

1/ Fischer fixings, common in upvc fitting since the 80's
2/ Hammer fixings, i refer to as smack splits but this may be a regional thing
3/ Tapcons, the new kid on the block if you like, no plug just screw straight into the brick, with a small pilot hole of course.

Wedges or packers are there to pack the frame square in the opening, also used near the fixing points to stop frame distortion, these same wedges or packers are used when fitting the glass units, 2 along the bottom for each unit to sit on, openers get a bit more complicated due to toeing and heeling.

As for breaking a unit then yes, it happens even to the pro's, i once put my fist through one when thumping beads home but i was young and i thought i knew best, needless to say i started using a soft faced hammer soon after

Thanks for the replys, i have not installed the window yet, so i can square the window with wedges if required and then put the fixings through the frame and cement in between the brick layers. The glazing panel fits into an opening window so i put wedges in with the thin edge facing the frame and gently tap the glass panel in with a soft mallet and the pull out the wedges is this correct. Thanks beerboy

Sponsored Links
One thing at a time....

Fixing,

If you put a fixing in the cement joint of newly laid bricks you'll certainly lift the bricks.

Glazing,

If the unit (panel) is an opener then it'll need toeing and heeling same as a door, google toeing and heeling for an explanation, trying to explain it here is like explaining the offside rule :D

The wedges stay in place, in between the glass and the pvc covered over by the beads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back