oil warning light

C

compheat

My son as a 56 plate transit which as been serviced regularly about 3 months ago the oil light came on :( so checked oil and it was low :?: even though it doesn't seem to be either using or burning oil. Anyway topped it up and that was that, but it keeps coming on even though the oil level is ok, any idea's to why :?:

Sponsored Links
If the oil level was low, yet the engine doesn't burn any oil - where's it going? The oil light actually measures pressure, not level, which suggests to me that the incorrect oil or filter may have been fitted. This engine is known as a Duratorq, and must have the correct oil.
Tell us the mileage, and how many miles your son drives a month, will you?
John :)

The mileage is 51750. and at present he's doing approx 1200 per month, when you say it needs special oil ?? I just put in normal oil for diesel engine's which I take is wrong. The exhaust isn't smokey, and there's no oil leaks. possible sensor problem ?? the lights off at the moment but was on yesterday when I posted

Sponsored Links
The correct viscosity for Duratorq and Zetecs is 10/30 - I'm almost sure.
I'm not saying your oil isn't correct, but oil manufacturers generally list these as needing a specific lubricant.
The Tranny mileage isn't excessive so long as its had regular care lubrication wise, so it could well be the oil pressure switch at fault. I think its up the back of the motor, above the filter if memory serves.

what about the oil pump do you think that could be faulty?
thanks for the info i'l check the manual regarding the oil

There's no reason at this point to suspect an oil pump problem.....if the pressure light comes on again, I'd keep an ear on the engine for unusual knocking noises (difficult on a diesel I know - they all sound like hell close up) and replace the sender switch.
If you're still unhappy, a Ford dealer could attach a pressure gauge into the oil pressure line and check things from there.
I wouldn't panic about this - just keep an eye on the oil level on a weekly basis.
PS the oil filter on these guarantees you a sleeve full of oil when you change it so some folks dont...its at the back of the engine (from underneath) under a black plastic cup that unscrews.

Sponsored Links
Back