Radiator Q :- Which side should lockshield valve go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might seem a silly question but 1 i cant find anywhere on google.

I have had 2 extra radiators put into my new conservatory feed off an existing rad in the front room.

For some reasons the 2 new rads in the conservatory are not heating up at all.

The pipe to the feed side is hot but only upto the lockshield valve. It got me thinking, should the lockshield be on the feed and the manual adjust valve (not TVR, old style thing).

The rest of the house seems to have the lockshield on the feed side, is this normal?

Sponsored Links
If you don't have TRV's it really shouldn't make much difference what side is the lockshield as long as the system is balanced properly (not to the extent that you can't get any heat at all anyway)...

Sounds more like a problem with the way it's piped..... When adding rads it's always best to tee into the main flow and return where practicable....

Other than this, are you sure your boiler can take the additional load..... What kind of system and boiler do you have???

Martin

locksheild valve and a wheelhead valve are the same just different tops.
wheelhead gos on the flow locksheild on the return.
locksheid is the one you balance the system with then put the top on and it cant be turned by hand.

try opening the valve on the flow side that hot.

As stated already there is little or no difference to a wheelhead valve to a L/S. In fact you could even use a TRV as a L/S if you have the correct cap.

If you have got heat up to the flow and return pipes its a good start, you have a problem with the flow through the rads, either the boiler cant cope or the pipework up to the new rads is not adequate. 15mm can serve about 2/3 rads and if the guy just Tee'd off the 15mm off the other rads the flow rate will be minimal.

Sponsored Links
Here is a real quick MS paint sketch :)

picf.png

They are only 2 small rads, http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/duratherm-double-convector-2001-16904

He tee's off the feed and turn, using 15mm part the way then microbore the rest.

Like say upto the new radiator the feed is HOT! but 100% no heat at all in the new rads. (The other feed pipe on other side of conservatory is cold)

If i turn off aload of the raditators and force the flow they do start heating up.

Have you shut all other valves in the system to see if you can force it through the two rads only?

Yes like say above if i shut the rest/most of the house off i can force the feed though them.

I did not install them, it was a old retired bloke a friend knows who just does a few cash jobs....

What kind of system have you got currently, boiler make model and number of Rads?

I currently have a Potterton Prima 50F....system has a feed and expand. I got the pump running on its fastest speed setting. Sorry i cant be any more help than that

The house has 14 radiators. (12 which are the origial 1's and the 2 new small 1's on the conny) The 12 in the house heat up REALLY hot!

its piped up wrong. Have it done properly from the main flow and returns and face the bill

Sorry to say, I agree.... Looks like it needs re-done.... Properly

Find the main flow and return pipes, should be 22mm or 28mm, this is before the microbore. The two additional rads should not be feeding of the secondary 15mm/microbore circuit.

The main flow and return will be piped in 3/4" pipe (or at least they should be)..... Tee-ing off from this point is by far preferable, as smaller bore pipe which is already supplying one or more rads will simply not handle the load as well....

Sorry, but I think this would be your best bet, but alwas keep in mind we're just sitting at computers and haven't actually seen it..... Take everything here as advice only and not difinitive answers or solutions....

Thanks

Martin

Here is a picture of the setup, sorry about the quality its a naff mobile cam.

01032010003.jpg

Feed
01032010005.jpg

return
01032010004h.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back