skimming over plaster ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For an inexperienced plasterer, what is the easiest product to use to skim over my bathroom ceiling to make it flat?

At the minute the ceiling appears to have been plastered and then 'rolled across' or something to create a shallow pattern of sorts.

I just want it flat. And I have some cracks to fill. How's that done?

Sponsored Links
Finishing plaster is what you should be using but if you’ve no previous experience, attempting a ceiling will almost certainly end in disaster. Easyfill can be used for small areas but it’s not really suitable for an entire ceiling & then there is all that sanding; I would seriously consider getting a plasterer in to skim it or it’s almost certainly going to end up looking worse that it does now.

It’s also important the ceiling boards are securely fixed, correctly prepared any cracks repaired & reinforcing or they will show through again; is it an Artex pattern?

Doesn't really look like artex - it's a very very shallow depth, that's why I thought it was just a mess that was made with the plaster!

How is a crack prepared properly? Is it cut right back and taped over and then plastered?

You need finish plaster, multi-finish would be my choice.
The ceiling as Richard says will need to be secure so no springing or sagging of boards, any peaks in the pattern should be removed, any cracks in board joints should be taped.
Prior to applying plaster a PVA seal would need applying, in all it's a tricky job and if never done before can be quite a task.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't really look like artex - it's a very very shallow depth, that's why I thought it was just a mess that was made with the plaster!
It could just be a pattern that was been applied to the plaster or a mess ;)

How is a crack prepared properly? Is it cut right back and taped over and then plastered?
You can rack them back, but make sure the board is screwed, not nailed up tightly before you plaster.

Depends what’s up there; after establishing why it's cracked & providing additional support if needed, rake it out, fill & reinforce tape prior to prep & skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back