Timber Guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my old timber guttering and do not want to re-replace with timber. Does anybody know which would be best plastic or aluminium? As it needs to join with the neighbours timber guttering on either side of our house.

Sponsored Links
plastic, its cheaper, but if expense is no object copper guttering is nice

I've noticed on holiday in Italy that copper guttering and downpipes are the norm in new builds. They look great. Is this some kind of cultural thing or is there a sound reason? It sounds wildly expensive, compared with yukky plastic or even our traditional alternatives.

job lot of copper?

i was wondering since you have actually seen it, does it turn green? (i have only seen it on the web site of maker)

Sponsored Links
Purely in the interests of this forum, I am willing to make a special expedition to Italy to find out, contributions in support of this selfless quest are welcome.
Seriously, I hadn't noticed, so I have just trundled through my photos of little Italian streets.
As far as I can tell, and can recall, the copper doesn't turn green but weathers to the kind of dull copper you'd expect from an old pipe. It's probably something about their weather. They also have a lot of very old lead guttering and downspouts that have oxidised to a greyish green. The copper, in time, will probably end up more or less the same.
And naturally, what would be old and scruffy here is quaint and antique over there.

It might be expensive at the moment , I noticed the other day that Copper had reached a new high of $3280 a tonne.

As no-one has volunteered to fund this year's holiday, I have managed to find a picture of an Italian copper downpipe. What is much more amazing, I have managed to stick it into photobucket.
And stand back in awe, it is not here any more - see latest post.

I can't believe I just did that. The picture is a bit fuzzy - it's a still from digital video. But there are lots of those coming from copper guttering, and generally they vanish inside the wall instead of draining on the street.

Edited to remove link.

cant see you picture, it comes up with yor log in name and asks for pass word.

gutter.jpg

i found this one but its from the supplier, so it will look all new

Ah b*****
And I thought I had cracked it last night :evil: :evil:
It's my first go at Photobucket.
I have just gone in and ticked the "make public" box so it might work now.
PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back