Shower pump switching on when hand basin tap is switched on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to why my shower pump has just started switching on when the hand basin hot water tap is turned on.

The pump is a Stuart Turner Monsoon. I guess it has been in about 20 years or so without a problem until now.

I had a new boiler installed in late December and this occurence has only just started happening otherwise I might have thought it is linked with that.

Regards
Cono

Sponsored Links
Hi Nige

Thank you for the prompt reply. What I did not say originally is that it does not do it every time the basin tap is switched on, it is intermittant. Is there a way that I can confirm it is the switch, other than by replacing it? Are you able to advise me where the location of the switch would be and would it be relatively easy for me to replace?

Regards
Cono

The pump flow switch is triggering the pump on; what sort of boiler is it? Either the pump flow switch is faulty as suggested or, (& I’m not a boiler man!) if it’s a Combi, could it be the way the new boiler has been plumbed in :confused: :?:

Sponsored Links
they are generally on the outlet pipes before the flexi connectors :idea: .I`ve not stripped/examined one -Stuart aturner are on the web, and should have prices there etc. ;)

Hi

Many thanks to everyone for their advice. The boiler is a GlowWorm 30 Hxi, it is an open vent, it is not a combi. I will go on to the Stuart Turner site and see what they say.

Regards
Cono

Hi cono. If your supply to your shower is completely independent from the rest of the supply pipework then this shouldn't happen. If the pipework has been spliced into to supply the shower, then the flow switches ( the black, square bits of plastic strapped to the 'out' side of the shower pump with an arrow pointing up ) are picking up some turbulence intermittently and are switching on. pipework alteration may be necessary. :)

You're right about that Rich, it is weird. But it could be a temperamental flow switch combined with incorrect plumbing. Have experienced it before where I work..... luckily I don't have to repair, I just get told to replace!! But I take the 'broken' items to my little workshop, order what parts I think may be needed for it and fix it. :D

Hi

Sorry for my late response but waiting to see what Stuart Turner had to say. Their response is: Problem caused by air trapped between the pump and what it pumps too. Well the pump only feeds directly to two showers. Also said it may well be a direct result of the boiler being changed but did not amplify on this. I have gone back to them and explained to them that the shower pipework is completely independent from the other household pipework and feeds two showers only, not the other taps etc. I have asked them for advice on how I should release the trapped air.

Regards

Cono

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back