How not to wire a cooker up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

We were getting a new cooker installed for mother-in-law. I got down to the flat and the van was there. I ran round to the flat and the cooker was already there wired in. I ran back outside and caught the driver as he was leaving. I asked if it was installed and he said yes all OK and he left.

I went back in and decided I better try the cooker, I had to remove the packing in the oven and on the door etc. Then I put on the oven circuit breaker in the cupboard and switched on the cooker switch in the kitchen - BANG! - tripped the cct breaker. I thought about phoning them, but knew it would be hopeless as I didn't have the number of the van and the help desk would take ages.

I went home and got tools. Investigated and found they had wired the cooker up wrongly, connecting the Live and Earth together and the Neutral to the ground connection.

Fixed the wiring and now all OK.

Lesson - Never trust anyone but yourself.

Sponsored Links
bleedin chancers. :eek:

Just for the hell of it, i would have got straight on the phone and demanded that the guy who did this got back pronto as now nothing works!!
when he did come back then ask him why he felt he could do the job he did? laugh

I did consider it, but unfortunately at that time I was up to my neck in other things and I also did not want to worry my mother-in-law with all of this.

It was an eye opener for me that these nationwide warehouse places employ such poorly trained people to do electrical installation jobs. The fact that he never even switched it on after he "installed" it was incredible. [Wish he had, that would have woken him up] :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Was not sure if it was correct etiquette to mention the name of the company here.

It was Comet.

That is bang out of order! Literally! :D :eek: Hecking amateurs that could of killed someone! Report them immediately!

This was in October 2008 so a bit late to complain now I am afraid. I should have at the time.

Last time I saw Comet deliver and connect a cooker there was 2 blokes, and they brought a Fluke MFT with them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back