Very uneven subfloor - Impossible to have oak boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
More expert advice please :(

Existing pine floor is very uneven - one corner of the room rises by 18mm over just 1.5m! Does this rule out ever being able to have engineered oak flooring? We can't take existing boards up completely as it supports a stud wall.

Could 20mm engineered oak be glued down to a plywood subfloor (with sufficient weight as it cures)? Could we 'pack out' the subfloor with fibre board to even out the difference over a greater length?

All thoughts will be very gratefully received :confused:

GW

Sponsored Links
20mm is more rigid than standard 15mm so can handle a bit more, but not that much. Weighing it down does not help though.

What you could do is easing the sloop further down with different thick plywood so it levels out and the new wood floor only has to tackle a "normal" sloop of maximum 3mm per meter.

Thanks WYL,

If I use different thicknesses of ply, would I need to add an additional top layer of ply so the contact surface with the engineered boards is smooth? This could raise the floor considerably...

I assume you would recommend floating the boards on 3-5mm foam underlay.

Thanks again for the help with this :)

GW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back