Radials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done a recki in my kitchen by checking every socket and I've got what looks to be 2 radial circuits connected to 1 30amp fuse. I've seen other comments so I'm clear on the fact that any spurs I put in would have to be done using 4mm wire. Does it sound right that I have 2 radial circuits wired to 1 30amp fuse? Have I correctly assumed that because they are both radials connected to a 30amp fuse that the wire must be 4mm?

Sponsored Links
Just disconnect one of the 'suspected' radials at the cu, then test the sockets. At least this will indicate if you are on the right or wrong track.

Sponsored Links
As soon as you say 'kitchen' I reflexively think 'broken ring circuit'.

I'd be surprised if the cable is 4 mm² (Is it modern and seven-stranded copper or older and three-stranded, tinned copper? How large is the earth?). It's most likely to be (at least originally) 2.5 mm² (or an older Imperial equivalent). You need to check continuity end-to-end on each of the phase, neutral and earth conductors (and know how to interpret the results). It is not enough to assume that it's okay if there is power to each socket with either end disconnected; this does not prove you have an adequate neutral or earth.

If they are, indeed, two radials wired in 4 mm² (quite rare) there is nothing desperately wrong with protecting both with a single 30A fuse, but ideally they would be separate circuits. In this case any additions should be in 4 mm².

If the cables are 2.5 mm² radials (or broken rings) then the cable is not adequately protected from overload and you really need to get it properly inspected and tested.

It is never safe to assume anything about your electrical installation and the fact that you have fuses suggests an older installation that may have had any number of additions/alterations made with varying degrees of competence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back