Wiring in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of questions regarding the wiring in the shower room of our current rented accomodation. I have a feeling I know the answers to the questions but I'd really appreciate an experts opinion.

1) Is it OK to have a washing machine adjacent to the shower? The shower is seperated from the washing machine space by a tiled studwork wall which finishes about 250mm from the ceiling. There is a wash hand basin next to the washing machine space as well.

2) The cabling that supplies the electric shower runs along the top of the wall in plastic conduit before disappearing under the tiled splashback that forms the part of the shower enclosure that is directly opposite the shower head.

It is difficult to describe the layout but I hope this is clear enough. I will try and take some pictures which will make it more clear.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
1) Probably not - the controls of the washing machine are unlikely to be waterproof enough. Also, how is the machine supplied? Is there an FCU? Where is it?

2) Looks carp, but is perfectly safe.

ban-all-sheds";p="1551957 said:
1) Also, how is the machine supplied? Is there an FCU? Where is it?

Thanks for the quick response.

It isn't supplied by an FCU. It has a standard single socket located on an external wall approx. 800mm from the floor and 700mm from the shower enclosure.

Sponsored Links
As you say the shower studwall stops short of the ceiling it might even be possible to splash it when using the shower, which is very unsafe. Certainly do not use the washing machine and the shower at the same time, or when the bathroom wall is wet. the socket should be protected by an RCD.

Unfortunately, although landlords are required to have gas safety checks, they are not obliged to have electrical safety checks.

Is it a house in multiple occupation?

But it would do no harm to send a short businesslike letter to the landlord and/or his agent, advising him that the washing machine and its electrical socket are this close to the shower, and notifying him that you do not consider it is safe. Send the letter by recorded delivery. Some people get edgy at the thought of having a copy of your letter read out at a coroner's court.

p.s.
I was looking for an up-to-date Bathroom Zones diagram, I am not sure this one is still current
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:speclcn:bathroom_zones

Edited:
I have not been able to find the current document relating to fixed equipment such as a washing machine, outside zones 1 and 2, so I have decided to keep my mouth shut for the moment.

It isn't supplied by an FCU. It has a standard single socket located on an external wall approx. 800mm from the floor and 700mm from the shower enclosure.
700mm is less than 3m, therefore a socket there contravenes the wiring regulations.

p.s.
I was looking for an up-to-date Bathroom Zones diagram, I am not sure this one is still current
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:speclcn:bathroom_zones[/QUOTE]
The 17th ones are correct, but there aren't diagrams showing all the possibilities of shapes and locations of Zones.

I have not been able to find the current document relating to fixed equipment such as a washing machine, outside zones 1 and 2, so I have decided to keep my mouth shut for the moment.
The washing machine is not outside Zone 2 - it's in it.

ah, I got the idea that the w/m was 700mm away.

I think photos may help to define the zones in this case.

does the shower have a basin?
is the front of the w/m level with the front of the shower or set back?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back