Loft Lighting - A few simple Qs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just doing what I thought would be a simple job of adding a couple of lights to the loft (in thory batten lampholder onto rafter, energy saver bulbs, one either end of loft.)

1. The header tank is in the middle of the room. Am i safe and within regs to run a cable above the tank (about a foot clearance), or do I need to give it a wide berth.

2. Using a batten, the bulb is fairly close to the roof felt, how close am i safe to get without causing issues?

Thx

Tim

Sponsored Links
If your cable is secured i dont see a problem. Can you mount the batten at right angles to the felt? if so no prob.

you'd be much better off with a / couple of 5ft single fluorescent lights up there.. ( presumably it's just for storage? )..
get the IP ones if you can ( damp up there and all that.. )
as long as the cable if securely fixed and unlikely to be damaged, then you can run it where you like..
presumably the actual connections are not in a position where they are likely to get splashed?

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I would have liked to put a floruescent in but it's a bit tight up there with the tanks in and everything, would be somewhat awkward, hence the 2 lights rather than one.

The connections are no-where they should get water anywhere near so should be fine and the cable will be clipped securely to the centre joist above the tank so it wont budge.

I'll place the bulbs off of a rafter rather than the centre joist to give slightly better clearance to the felt based on your advice.

I'll let you know how it went when I'm done.

Sponsored Links
Think twice before banging nails in under tiles.

Preference is always screws.

A batten holder mounted horizontally with a low energy lamp in tends to fail.
The weight causes the lamp to stoop down and the contact poor, sometimes causing it to go off.

They make an angled batten holder for that purpose.

freaky idea... see if there are any cheap white rope lights going, the kind they put up at x-mas.. not the flashing kind obviously.. :)

stick that up..:)

I wouldn't use energy savers. They don't like the cold too much for a start.

They take a while to warm up, and by the time they have you will be back down and the ladders packed away.

Some standard GLS lamps would be my choice. Quick and easy no fuss lighting.

I've got some regular switch-start 12-18" T5 tubes in my loft and they work fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back