Painting woodwork outdoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Love this forum by the way!

Can you please tell me when is a good time, if there ever is a good time, to repaint my very old (some a little rotten!) window frames? All the old stuff is flaking off and bare wood is showing.

What is the best way to go about attacking them bearing in mind that I am on a very small budget :cry:

All advice truly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Wait til the prospect of dry weather, at least a week prior to starting if possible! (I dont start my exteriors until May ) rub-down old paint or burn back to bare wood if needed on flaky / cracked paint,prime bare wood then undercoat & gloss with Dulux Weathershield or All Seasons.

thanks for that info. Roll on the good weather then!

Can i just fill any gaps in the frames with a good exterior wood filler?

What about loose putty? :)

I use Isopon P38 car body repair filler, its basically the same chemical makeup but cheaper than wood filler and easier to sand..Been using it in place of woodfiller for 25+ years ;) .. If you have any soft wood treat it to a couple of applications of wood hardener first.
I quite often use Crown Stronghold undercoat first as it covers slightly better than the Dulux , followed by Weathershield gloss..
Best buy your paint from a trade store , the stuff from DIY outlets , even brand names, is thinner/inferior ;)

Sponsored Links
Best buy your paint from a trade store , the stuff from DIY outlets , even brand names, is thinner/inferior ;)

I talked to the guy at Leyland about that a few weeks ago - and he reckons that they are identical. That it's just an urban myth.

Maybe with Leyland but Dulux & Crown trade are definitely a different formula, I know, I worked in a trade store..Email Dulux and theyll confirm..DIY sourced paints are diluted/thinned to ease use by novices..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back