Hoover fridge freezer freezing in fridge section

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4 yr old Hoover HNMF 2605A-80 fridge freezer that freezes vegs etc in the fridge section. From what I read it's most likely to be pcb/sensors. Any suggestions? Looks like a pig to gain access and to replace these parts.Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Some of these sensors are foamed in between the skins impossible to change if your pcb has gone it might be more than the frigde is worth to fix it gone are the days of a 5 quid stat I would price it first
Dev

is it a frost-free freezer? does it have one compressor or two?

good point John D if its ff then it will have a little fan to stir the air if it's not going then you will get local frosting

Sponsored Links
is the drain hole clear in the fridge.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Its an upright f/f and is frost free and has one compressor if that helps.No sign of a little fan in the cabinets.Drain hole is clear.

As it has only a single compressor, it is possible that it is running, even when the fridge is cold, in an attempt to chill the freezer.

If it is a frost free freezer, there will be channels hidden inside the casing where the frost is supposed to collect, be melted, and run down to the evaporation dish at the back on top of the compressor.

It might not be the problem in your case, but it is extremely common for frost free freezers to go wrong because these channels get choked with frost and ice. Fixing it is an easy DIY job. Sadly it takes a long time to thaw them out and drain away the melted ice, because the channels are not accessible. If you want to try it, pull the machine out so you can see the evaporation dish and the plastic tube that water runs down (it will probably be full of dirt and maybe fungus, so clean it out). empty the fridge and the freezer and unplug it, leave with the doors open, preferably in a warm room, until water stops dripping out inside or outside (this will take at least a day, possibly two). When you are sure all the internal ice is melted and run out, clean and dry it thoroughly inside and out, and verify that the drain tube is not choked e.g. with food particles or mould. The fill it up and turn it on and see if that has cured it. If not, then it may well be the thermostat, and i don't know how to get at yours.

Thanks for all your sugestions guys,I've tried all you suggested and no success.Now kicked the bloody thing into touch!! Cheers

Some frost free fridge/freezers have 2 stats, if it does, then the fridge won't need to start the motor to cool off, it only has to start its fan to draw air from the freezer to cool down. I think you have a single stat that is drawing air from the freezer, but the stat is set too cold.
IF you do have 1 stat, turn it down 1 number (e.g from 5-4). If there are two stats, turn the fridge one down 1 number and the freezer also down 1. It is possible the air blowing into the fridge from the freezer is really, really cold, and there is a vent near the vegetable crisper, which is probably the cause of ALL your problems!!!

Hope this helps,
bestbets1 :)

I have a simular problem with the above fridge/Freezer, its a frost free model the problem is the fridge appartment freezes up this is indicated on the back cold plate in the fridge where you can see a heavy deposit of frost (the dial on fridge is set on 1) after a few days of this the frost melts to go back to normal operation then after approx 4 days the cycle is started again.

I am having the same problem with my appliance the fridge is freezing all my food and its only on dial 1 (the lowest ) I am having NO PROBLEMS with the freezer .

Does anyone have any idea if it is worth fixing or if i could do it myself ?

I have tried turning it off for a few hours and defrosting the fridge bit but i have loads of food in the freezer so do not want to leave it off for too long .

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Is it a frost free freezer?

Does it have one compressor or two?

See my post Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:02 pm

To defrost a fridge or freezer, you have to take ALL the food out and put in in well-wrapped boxes to keep it cold, then leave the appliance doors wide open until it is dry. Also pull the appliance out from the wall and clean the drip tray and drain tubes. Hoover the dust off the black pipe grid at the back while you have it out.

Hi

Yes it is a frost free

I have cleaned the dip tray and cleaned the dust off the back .
Not sure how many compressors it has . I only have one dial to turn fridge freezer up and down .
Hope this helps

Will take the plunge i have emptied the whole fridge and freezer and will try that and see if it works . Hopefully it is fingers crossed .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back