Lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys just signed up,

Looking for some help (as you've probably guessed)

I fitted a light in a bedroom about 2-3 weeks ago, it now wont turn on. I unscrewed the light switch and the fitting to check connections but they're both fine. the light has a transformer in it that you can hear occasionally clicking when I switch it on.

Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be up with it?

I know electricity but not transformers

The helps greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
If you have a multimeter check you have output from the tx, then check you have no loose terminals at the light.

Yeah i checked that but theres 5 bulbs on it.

I have a 230V voltage tester pen and it read 230V up till the transformer so I know the power going in is fine. i was trying to check that but the cables went into the transformer then diappears.

Do you know what the clicking noise could be?

Sponsored Links
Is it quality Chinese manufactured equipment? ;)

Only reason I ask is that I installed a fitting for a mate which stopped working after around two weeks of occasional use. I assumed that a cable had come loose. But after checking and testing for voltage I discovered that the transformer was knackered! He took it back and got a replacement FOC.

Sounds like the transformer might be knackered on yours too.

As i said earlier, get your self a cheap multimeter. £5-£8 at the sheds. that way you will be able to check the voltage (if any)at the light fitting.

Thanks guys,

I've got one, its just getting into the transformer to find a connection.

Its a next light, so its probably cheap and nasty!

would the transformer in it be an eaglerise by any chance?
load of cheap chinese tat found in light fittings from Ikea and Argos amongst others..

this fitting.. what rating is the transformer and what bulbs did you put in?
could be that it's rated for 20W lamps and you put 50W in?

Had this a few times recently, fit lights for a Lighting firm, they 'claim' to be Spanish made but the ROC stickers are every where!!!

Fitted one light (£500) nothing!!!! Checked the supply all ok, no bulbs lit. Sent it back for another believing the tx was knackered, re fitted put bulbs in nothing!!!

Took all the bulbs out (G4's) checked them managed to remove a pin from each one!!!!

ROC produced kit is dubious!!!! Brought some Crompton replacement bulbs works a treat, for now......................

Had acustomer last year, had two multi arm light units in hall and landing (from next) both went within a week. Both returned but took over a monthy to get replacements.

Dont know how Next get away with it. Most of the faulty lights we hear of on here are from Next. Its shocking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back