noisy soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anyone who can help with this-(PLEASE).I live in a house which is now 6 years old,since day one we have had to suffer an extremely loud and annoying banging/tapping/thudding noise from the soil stack.This happens when you drain hot water away after washing,having a bath etc,if we then run the cold water the tapping noise stops for a few seconds then starts again if you leave the cold water tap running the tapping eventually stops after a few minutes.As you can imagine this is extremely annoying especially when having a shower or after a bath.The builder at the time only told us that it was the soil stack contracting and put some glass wool between the stack and some wood which they thought the stack was contracting against,this stopped the problem for 1 hour!!! Has anyone heard of this before and how can this be cured?

Sponsored Links
unfortunatly the explanation that you were offered by your builder is likely most likely to be correct - you need to try to find what the stack is rubbing against as it expands/contracts - hopefully (but unlikly) you may have some access to the stack - if so try to pack between the stack and any contact (including brackets)

william2 said:
Is there anyone who can help with this-(PLEASE).I live in a house which is now 6 years old,since day one we have had to suffer

you've lived with it for six years? sounds like torture to me.

We have a noisy soil stack too, but just caused by too much curry, brrp..

Sponsored Links
COuld well be it never had enough expansion joints, or the pipe was fixed to the wall wrongly or so it has nowhere to move. It's astonishing how much New Build you see done incompetently. Find a better plumber!

There is access to part of the stack by taking the bath panel off and reaching a small part of it,this is where we have tried packing glass wool between the stack and anything it touches but to no avail.

As i can only reach a small part of the stack is there anything else i could try,is there anything a plumber could do?

Oh, an INTERNAL plastic stack :cry: They're always horribly noisy. Often there's a loud noise due to water simply dripping and hitting something like an angled bit of pipe.
IF the noise is due to thermal movement, you might be able to break into the duct somewhere (plasterboard, probably :rolleyes: ) and cut a section of pipe out, replacing it with the section slightly shortened, and a couple of SLIP couplings which have rubber seals at the ends so the pipe can move - silently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back