exhaust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Teenagers! My daughter phoned up at 4.45 this morning as her exhaust had fallen off.

The actual problem is the flange at the end of the pipe coming down from the catalytic convertor has come away from the pipe. So im left with the two flanges still joined together, with the pipe hanging loose. The actual pipes are in good condition. I was wondering if i cut the flanges off of the pipes, so there was in effect just two pipes meeting end to end, is there anyway of joining them, like a steel sleeve with jubilee clips etc?

(shes trading teh car in at the end of the month, so im after a cheap fix!)

Sponsored Links
What car?
You can pick up a u-bolt clamp from halfords for about a quid, this is likely what fell off in the first place. Put the pipe back where it came from and clamp around the lot. You should put some firegum paste around the joint before fitting (pipe and flue sealing paste for woodburners is pretty much the same stuff)

its a peugeot 206. I see what youre saying deluks. its actually sheared off at the point where the 2 flanges clamp together. So the 2 flanges are still bolted together, with the pipe hanging loose. i did wonder about cutting the flanges off then wrapping it with some exhaust paste/webbing, then wrap some metal sheet around and a few u clamps around that. Does that make sense??

As long as it's airtight and secure I don't see any problem with that plan.
But the metal sheet will need to be strong enough to not shear off again. I'd suggest a couple of strips of some thicker metal, to act as splints. You might need about 4 u-bolts though.

Sponsored Links
can you not simply unbolt the flange and take it and the pipe to a welders and get it welded back on?
must be plenty of places where a bloke would do it for a tenner during his lunch half hour..
should only take about 5 mins?

IIRC the flange on the downpipe of the last Peugeot exhaust I dealt with was not fixed to the pipe, it was a form of compression joint.

It had an 'olive' like a plumbing fitting between the flanges that clamped the pipe in place when the flange bolts were tightened.

Back