cooker hood duct running through new garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Some advice please, just had a new extension built, and come across a little over sight.

I have a cooker hood extractor that's ducted to outside, this now is into my new garage, the building inspector was telling me that it must still duct do the outside. i was just going to use the charcoal filter and block it up, but i'm told I cannot do that.

He told me that the ducting needed to be boxed in plasterboard for fire protection, which I have seen on some very old posts on here, what I want to know is, is there any metal or fire retardant ducting I could use so that I don't have to box it in with plasterboard

any help would be great...

Sponsored Links
Fire proof ductwork will cost a fortune, much simpler and cheaper to go with the inspectors solution.

Boxing in with plasterboard will be a piece of cake, you could do it in your sleep.

Why the reluctance?

Sponsored Links
Forgot to point out, the building inspector was the electrical guy, the guy who has been visiting for the building work has failed to mention this problem so far.

The duct would be too long to run across the other side of the garage, what i would prefer to do is go up to the roof and vent through a roof tile vent as this would achieve a run of less than 3M.

is there a way of plasterboarding right upto the felt on the roof?
or would I have to put a plasterboard ceiling in to achieve?

I will be calling the building inspector I have been dealing with to get him to pay me a visit again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back