Very Narrow Sink Waste Pipe (Chase Into Wall)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all..... I'm about to re-do our downstairs cloakroom. It only contains a sink & loo, but the pipe to the original sink were all run in a big, ugly box, running across the bottom of one of the walls.

In replacing the sink, I'd like to chase the 3 pipes (2 x water, 1 x waste) into the wall to hide them. The pipes run across the (sink) wall by 1.5m and into the adjacent wall at the back, where the loo is fitted. The sink wall is solid (block) and the back wall is a plasterboard & batten, over-block wall.

I want to chase the pipes into the block wall, as they run from the sink over to the boarded wall at the back. The 15mm water pipes are easy to chase, but I'm not so sure about the std 32mm waste.

What are the thoughts of the group? Are there any alternative pipes (thinner / rectangular maybe) which are appropriate for this job, whihc I can then convert to 32mm at either end?

I'm desparate to get rid of the horrible box and achieve a clean look, so any feedback is welcome. BTW, I can't go into the floor before anyone suggests that, I need to go across the wall....

Thanks!

Mark

Sponsored Links
Just be aware you can't chase cold water into an outside wall, and you can't chase beyond a certain depth it may be 1/2 thickness of wall, but you must find out.

Personally I like pipes.

As said above. You can't go chasing a long horizontal run out of a wall- think what you are doing to the strength of the wall. Clipped and run neatly there should be nothing wrong with visible pipework though you can get some very neat alternatives to boxing . Anyone help me out with the name of that formed ply?

Sponsored Links
Just be aware you can't chase cold water into an outside wall, and you can't chase beyond a certain depth it may be 1/2 thickness of wall, but you must find out.

Personally I like pipes.

It's a LOT less than that for a horizontal chase. From memory, I believe it's 1/8 of total wall thickness. This more or less rules out chasing in a waste pipe, I'm afraid.

Cheers folks.

Bahco - I'm affraid the soil stack is on the adjacent wall, getting there is the issue, not getting into it!

Others - It's not an outside wall, it's an interior wall made of block.... I'm uncertain of the exact thickness at the moment, so do need to measure it. What I was hoping to find was some kind of thin section rectangular??) type pipe system that will happily chase into a wall without needing to dig 6 inches out of it, LOL!!

Pipes on display is not an option after all the work I've done elsewhere in the house to date (call it an OCD thing!!) :)

:confused:

Can't you fit the basin waste into the pan connector as per the link I gave? :confused:

:confused:

Can't you fit the basin waste into the pan connector as per the link I gave? :confused:

Nope, as I said above, the soil stack (and loo) are on the adjacent wall, getting to it is the issue, not getting into it.

Oddy, the ink wall is just plastered on the block, but the adjacent wall is studded.... getting to the adjacent wall "invisibly" is what I'm trying to achieve.

Is there enough space to install a plaster board/batten false wall?

Is there enough space to install a plaster board/batten false wall?

Juuuuuussst about maybe. I had considered that too... it's an option if all else fails.... I had considered a nice full width, oak shelf and clipping the pipes underneath it, too. Both are options if the wall chasing doesn't work out I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back