Appliance Wastes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of fitting a new kitchen and will be adding a dishwasher which needs to be plumbed in to the same waste that is used for the washing machine.

At the moment I have a single standpipe similar to the following, and simply have the waste for my washing machine looped over the top.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18640/

Shoving both waste pipes into the top of the standpipe doesn't seem an option (I don't think they'd physically fit and it doesn't seem the 'proper' thing to do anyway) and due to where the appliances are located there isn't room to run another waste pipe to a second standpipe.

Could I buy one of the following appliance trap adaptors and mount it between the P-trap and the actual standpipe? Or would this cause problems with one of the appliances emptying just above the P-trap with the other at the top of a 400mm standpipe?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11180/

Or alternatively buy two of the above adaptors and mount them one above the other above the P-trap?

What would people recommend to use in this situation? I'm sure it must be a fairly common problem but I don't seem to see any products on the market that seem to do the right job!

Sponsored Links
the appliance must be in the top of the standpipe thats why they make them that length.

fit this to the top of the standpipe and fit both wastes.
;)
5407.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion.

If I fit something like that, it'd need to fit behind my washing machine, will need to check whether it'll fit. Most of the fittings I see like that are integrated into a sink waste and have threads on the top and bottom to screw into a sink waste and then directly into a P-trap, rather than to fit onto the top of a standpipe. Where can I buy one like you pictured?

Sponsored Links
I'm not convinced I'll be able to fit an adaptor like that on top of the standpipe behind my washing machine :confused:

Would it be possible to T off the standpipe just above the P trap, in order to create a second standpipe a bit to the side?

Or would there be any way of fitting two of these to the TOP of the standpipe rather than to the bottom above the P trap? If I did this would I need to cap off the top or leave it open?

I'm not convinced I'll be able to fit an adaptor like that on top of the standpipe behind my washing machine

Or would there be any way of fitting two of these to the TOP of the standpipe

now that don't make sense. :confused:

why won't it fit behind the machine ?

I meant two of these: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11180/ but it looks like I forgot to paste the link :mad: lol.

It's a freestanding washing machine and it wants pushing back to the wall as far as possible, so I'm trying to get the waste connectors as small as possible so they don't push it out further than necessary.

I'd need to extend one of waste hoses to about 4.0-4.5m to get it to the sink waste.

It would be relatively easy to run it from where the appliances are, under the kitchen units to the sink unit, and my sink waste already has an attachment for an appliance... I thought the waste hose would be a bit long to be as effective though?

and your waste would need to be at least 600mm high then drop.
you have it laying under the kitchen cupboards that distance it'll hold water.

your not left with much choice less you go behind the next unit.

and your waste would need to be at least 600mm high then drop.
you have it laying under the kitchen cupboards that distance it'll hold water.

your not left with much choice less you go behind the next unit.
:(

So if I was running a waste over that distance I'd need to suspend it ideally directly underneath the worktop for the majority of the run and then drop it down into the sink waste? I don't think that's going to be feasible based on where it would need to run.

The only place I could really fit two separate standpipes is in the corner of the room in a 20x60cm wide void I've got behind a corner cupboard. However once the worktops are in position this place is not going to be accessible at all so I really don't want to have them positioned here.

Do you foresee a problem with a T piece above the P trap on the standpipe to make effectively two full height standpipes with one trap? I can try drawing a diagram if that doesn't make any sense to you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back