Steam Iron RCCB/RCBO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically my steam iron, when plugged in works fine, can iron, steam, change heat settings, and randomly (can be within 5 mins or 2 hours) trips the main switch for plugs for the entire house (MCB?). Unfortunately I don't have access to this to flip it back, so we have to go without power until some contractor turns up the next day, anyway I digress. I tried the iron out for a week at a friends house with no problems so I don't think the iron is faulty.

I think the the trip switch might be overly sensitive, so when someone else plugs something else in the total current leak is more than the limit on the trip switch or something like that. I also heard it could be a weak circuit.

My iron is quite powerful, 3000W, anyway my idea is that I could buy an RCCB or an RCBO (not sure which) and this would stop all the switches in the house from tripping and only trip the RCCB/RCBO.

If anyone could shed any light on this, or suggest an alternative solution that would be much help.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
your iron is broken and the steam is getting into the electrics..
your RCD is tripping, whereas your friend might not have one in his house ( did you ask? )

throw the iron away and buy a new one ( they're only a fiver from tesco's .. get a new one every 3 weeks.. :) )

Basically my steam iron, when plugged in works fine, can iron, steam, change heat settings, and randomly (can be within 5 mins or 2 hours) trips the main switch for plugs for the entire house (MCB?). Unfortunately I don't have access to this to flip it back, so we have to go without power until some contractor turns up the next day, anyway I digress.
Is this your house? Why don't you have access to the CU?

Is it a shared house/HMO? Who else loses power when you trip the RCD?

It seems unacceptable, dangerous and possibly illegal to provide you with an electrical installation which can cut off for hours at a time because you don't have access to the CU.

I tried the iron out for a week at a friends house with no problems so I don't think the iron is faulty.
Was his socket circuit on an RCD?

I think the the trip switch might be overly sensitive, so when someone else plugs something else in the total current leak is more than the limit on the trip switch or something like that. I also heard it could be a weak circuit.
Who else is plugging things in, and where?

My iron is quite powerful, 3000W, anyway my idea is that I could buy an RCCB or an RCBO (not sure which) and this would stop all the switches in the house from tripping and only trip the RCCB/RCBO.
If you don't have access to the CU then how on earth do you think you'll be able to open it up, install an RCBO on the non-RCD side (if there's space) and move your socket circuit across?

Is this your house? Why don't you have access to the CU?
Is it a shared house/HMO? Who else loses power when you trip the RCD?

It seems unacceptable, dangerous and possibly illegal to provide you with an electrical installation which can cut off for hours at a time because you don't have access to the CU.

I live on a RAF Base, the CU is locked away in a room next to our block.

I tried the iron out for a week at a friends house with no problems so I don't think the iron is faulty.
Was his socket circuit on an RCD?

Yes it was.

Who else is plugging things in, and where?

We all have kit to prepare for the next day so, throughout the night many irons will be plugged in and out. Other people's irons trip the switch occasionally as well. Also laptops, phone chargers, tvs, xboxs. There are two floors with six rooms each, but the floors are on different CU's I think as when the power trips upstairs down stairs is not affected and visa versa.

If you don't have access to the CU then how on earth do you think you'll be able to open it up, install an RCBO on the non-RCD side (if there's space) and move your socket circuit across?

Maybe I've missed something here but I thought you could get them so they plugged in, in between the appliance and the wall socket?

Sponsored Links
Even worse, there is no access to the CU to switch off the supply when there is an emergency.

Maybe I've missed something here but I thought you could get them so they plugged in, in between the appliance and the wall socket?
RCD adaptors can be obtained, which go between the appliance plug and the wall socket. This won't help at all, since a fault will probably trip both the plug-in one and the fixed one at the consumer unit.

An RCBO is a device which must be fitted inside a consumer unit or other enclosure:
HGADN106.JPG

The real problem here is that the installation has been poorly designed. The solution is to rewire part/all of it and split the various rooms onto different circuits, each with their own RCD (or RCBOs). However this isn't something you or anyone else living in the building can do.

My first thought would be to get a PAT tester on all the equipment in question. See if it's drawing unusually large ammounts of current or leaking unusually large ammounts to earth.

Also it would be good if possible to find out what exactly is tripping (it may already be a RCBO).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back