Muddy water out of toilet flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have what looks like thick muddy water coming out of the flush handle for our toilet. the handle is surrounded by tiles and the cistern etc are also behind the tiles so it's quite difficult to access it and find out what is going on.

anyone have any ideas about what could be causing the problem?? thanks.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the water level is much too high, and you may be seeing rusty streaks here....I would have though that the overflow would be running or the flush trickling continuously if this was the case though.
John :)

Hi John

thanks for replying so quickly!

would you recommend getting a look inside the cistern then? had a leak in our flat that seemed to be coming from flat above last week...i wonder if the 2 incidents are related but plumber can't confirm exactly where problem was coming from.

cheers
Jo

Hi Jo
I would certainly recommend that the top of the loo cistern is removed, so you can at least ascertain if the level is too high....it sounds to be a bit of a job in your case though.
If the cistern is continually filling, even a tiny bit, you should probably hear water hissing through the fill valve.
As you have this gunge coming through the loo handle aperture, it does indicate that there is water where there shouldn't be...the water level should be a couple of inches below this level.
Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
hi again John

thanks so much for your help

will see if i can have a look behind the tiles to find out what's going on. can't hear water hissing all the time though.

cheers again
Jo

Wishing you well with this!
Tiled in appliances are all very well until something goes wrong or maintenance is needed...at least some way of turning off the water supply to the loo is quite important.
We'll be interested to hear what you find!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back