Wash Machine Draining Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever my washing machine's in drain cycle, the water would flow up to the kitchen sink first before flowing out again, can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to fix it?

Also noticed the drain flow is quite slow, have tried different methods of unblocking the drains pipe (plunger, chemicals) but nothing's improved. Anyone can tell me what's wrong? Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Does sound like a blockage somewhere. May have to disconnect some pipework for better cleaning.

You would be better off to have it own waste pipe for washing machine.

I have had the same problem. I have always had a slow running sink but the washing machine from time to time would drain water into the sink and also leak water at the washing machine pipe end. I used to use chemical reagents and a plunger to solve this, which worked. However the last time I tried this, it didnt work and so I called a plumber. He said there is no blockage and that the soil pipe must be fitted lower than both the trap under the sink and trap in washing machine end. Due to this, the kitchen units need to taken out to lower the pipeworks!!!

But anyway was wondering to clear a blockage in the waste outlet pipe, is it neccessary to take out the kitchen units or is there a tool that can be used at the sink.

Sponsored Links
If a drain has only a minimal vertical drop before setting off on a horizontal run then it will be slow and there's no easy cure. An extreme example would be a drain coming straight off the side of a P trap with no vertical section at all. Washing machines pump out fast and, like any pipe, the drain needs a certain head of water to make it move that fast. This is how far the water will rise above the height of the horizontal run and if that puts it higher than the sink plughole then so be it. Obviously any partial blockage will make it worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back