Garage/garden power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Please forgive my ignorance and almost certainly stupid questions, but I need some help.

A couple of years ago, I had a security light fitted in my back garden. It is controlled by a switch near my back door that was put in next to a socket - which as I understand it, the power is coming from. This runs outside into a small pipe and up to the light.

The light isn't on the lighting circuit, so is there any way I can take power from that cable and feed it into my garage? I want to put a socket and a light out there (it's only a few metres away), and I'd like to keep the security light too. Does it need to be done via the switch inside? Is it something I can do (I'm reasonably proficient with DIY etc)? Would I need to get it approved by the council, even though most of the work is done?

Pictures of the light and switch are below.

Thanks a lot - I hope you can help!

Sponsored Links
Assuming that the light is wired in 1.0mm² or 1.5mm² then the switched fused connection unit (SFCU) will have a fuse in it to protect the cable to the light. This makes it unsuitable for any power requirements for a start.
Also as it is switched the configuration of the wiring would need altering to be able to keep the outside light and supply just a lighting feed to the shed.
This would be notifiable and there are other factors which need consideration regarding your existing installation

i'd get a spark in if i was you. You need to make sure the earthing arrangments are up to standard and that there are RCD's protecting the circuit etc. and if you're taking the supply from that fused switch it could end up being unpractical.

ps what he said too

Thanks guys - not the 'sure, it's easy' answer I was hoping for, but that's as comprehensive as I could have asked for! It's a shame, I was hoping to do it on the cheap - I had a guy round last year who quoted me £220 including parts.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What did his quote include ?
icon_thanks.gif
;)

I had a guy round last year who quoted me £220 including parts.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.
Thats not bad, depending what he was going to do. Electricians dont come cheap. I'd allow a full day for running SWA to an outbuilding and fitting a couple of bits in there. If it involved terminating to a CU each end, it'd be 2 days probably. Excluding digging any holes, chasing plasterwork etc.

£25-35 an hour is about the average going rate for domestic work. And this is not a 5 minute job. This might sound excessive, but remember the spark has a van, insurance (hopefully), professional scheme (hopefully), an apprentice, tools, testers (£500+ each), and his wages. It all adds up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back