Advice needed on how to Repair some Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have been getting our walls ready for when we plan to wallpaper them in the next month and above our window alot of plaster has fallan off (See pic below). We have asked our local council to repair this but have been told around 9 week wait so i have decided to look into repairing this ourself.

The problem is i have never done any plaster work before so what is the best way to tackle this and how do i go about repairng the best way ready for wall paper.

4558754142_7c1aceec62.jpg

4558125555_d305a2ac96.jpg

Also we have another area which is on our celling near our roof hatch which leaked last year that needs replacing with plaster as its started to fall off. How is the best way to replace this and re plaster.

Sponsored Links
With small areas like that I wouldn't bother with wet plaster. Use some filler instead and sand down.

in the first pic take the wood off the wall that was probably holding the curtain pole then get a bag of one coat and a straight edge damp the wall down or use diluted pva then apply the one coat then rule off with the straight edge till level with the existing plaster in the second pic are you on about the plaster that is missing around the join between the wall and the ceiling? if so apply the one coat to this as well one coat is ideal for patching and user freindly for an amature

Cheers for the tip,

So when i remove the wood and anymore lose plaster do the following.

1, Damp wall down with diluted PVA with a brush to help it bond to wall better.

2. Mix some 1 coat plaster and then apply using a stright edge etc and level

3, allow to dry for a week or so and sand

Is the above correct

Chris

in the first pic take the wood off the wall that was probably holding the curtain pole then get a bag of one coat and a straight edge damp the wall down or use diluted pva then apply the one coat then rule off with the straight edge till level with the existing plaster in the second pic are you on about the plaster that is missing around the join between the wall and the ceiling? if so apply the one coat to this as well one coat is ideal for patching and user freindly for an amature

Sponsored Links
When you remove that piece of wood over the window, the best way is to split it off,, along the grain with a wood chisel.
If you put something behind it,, (a hammer, crowbar) and try to pull it off the wall,, you'll probably pull all the plaster off of the lintel,, (not good).

Your remedy for re-plastering is ok, (although for deeper bits, i'd use bonding/multi). If you do it correctly, you shouldn't need to sand down any finished plaster, but being new to plastering, if it needs a little sanding down,, that's not a problem. ;)

Can you suggest a one coat plaster from B&Q or sme other place

Chris

You can buy a 25kg bag of "British Gypsum/Thistle One Coat" Plaster from most builders merchants. That might be more than you need for your job, but it's often cheaper to buy a bigger bag, than it is to buy a smaller 12.5kg bag of the same stuff from B&Q.

it' easy to mix, do small quantities, use a drill with a whisk in it, you can get a whisk for a couple of quid. One coat is good for sanding where as multi finish is not easy to sand.

Is it easy to mix as i have no special mixing tools u see
Chris

For all you'll need for your job Chris, no problem. You just need a clean bucket, and clean water. Add the plaster powder to the water, if you haven't got a drill,, stir it with a piece of flat wood, to a creamy consistency. Just under half a bucket of water will, when the plaster's added, will give you the best part of a bucketful of plaster.

What is the bes tool to apply the plaster with. I have seen plaster men use like a sqaure tool to hold the plaster and a large sqaure trowl thing if thats how u spell it

Chris

What is the bes tool to apply the plaster with. I have seen plaster men use like a sqaure tool to hold the plaster and a large sqaure trowl thing if thats how u spell it

Chris

You put the plaster onto a square board called a "hawk", and you apply the plaster to the wall/ceiling with a plastering trowel.
To be honest Chris,, i think it would be better to get someone in to do the job for you. It's not a big job, and shouldn't cost much to do,, or tell the council to pull their finger out.

I'm all for having a go, but will the council be happy to do the work over somebody else's if it turns out to be more extensive ( I don't know) - maybe it is better to wait the 9 weeks or as said push them a bit.

Hi all,

Well we had a letter from Council today now saying the work will be carried out by the end of July this year LOL so phoned them etc and still no movement on the date and they saying it will be in July

Chris

just have a go and take your time, remember, preperation is everything. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back