RSJ install procedure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single story extension with lean to roof and with a 3.6m opening for bifolding doors and plan on fitting 2 RSJ's across this span, 1 on each cavity wall. As I've never done this before can I check the installation procedure for this.

- RSJ's will be about 4m in length, going to get them pre drilled to fit some wood on the underside, making it easier to attach/fit door frame, and wall plate on top.

- BC have stated RSJ's need to be bolted together, is its holes at 450 centres, then as these are I beams, nog out the gap and bolt together, or are there special brackets?

- Sit both RSJ's on 2/3 courses of engineering bricks, no specific fixing required, just brick round / bed in ?

- Want to lay row of bricks within lintel, anything to know, or just lay 'em

- BC havent asked for SE report, so I'm just going by the steel supplier's knowledge, sound ok?

thanks

Sponsored Links
- BC have stated RSJ's need to be bolted together, is its holes at 450 centres, then as these are I beams, nog out the gap and bolt together, or are there special brackets?
Normally tubular steel sleeves are used as timber is too compressible, talk to your steel fabricator..

- Sit both RSJ's on 2/3 courses of engineering bricks, no specific fixing required, just brick round / bed in ?
Padstone size will depend on the load being transmitted and the quality of the existing masonry below. As your needing beams bolted together i doubt engineering bricks would be sufficient.

- Want to lay row of bricks within lintel, anything to know, or just lay 'em
Huh? What sitting on the bottom flange or the beam? Seriously?

- BC havent asked for SE report, so I'm just going by the steel supplier's knowledge, sound ok?
Not really.. Just cos they havent asked yet doesnt mean they wont, and its calcs they will want..
I would check with the fabricators on their liability on the steel designs, chances are they will turn round and tell you they take 0 responsibility for them.. thus your not insured and any future cracking, roof colapse, floor movement etc etc.. well could be thousands you have to fork out of your own pocket if things go pear shapped..

Want to lay row of bricks within lintel, anything to know, or just lay 'em
Eh?

BC havent asked for SE report, so I'm just going by the steel supplier's knowledge, sound ok?
As Stat's has said, they WILL ask for calc's.

We use scaffold tubing for spacers.
Spacing between fixings can vary from 450mm up to 900mm.

I take it the bi-fold doors are fitted to the external wall thus knobbling you regards a 'u' beam to the external wall. Get your s.e. to specify a heavy duty proprietary pressed steel lintel such as IG, Catnic, Birtley or similar.

All you need do then is specify the cavity size as well as the lintel code and order it from the local b.m. You may even be able to glean some calc' info' from the lintel supplier and cut out the need for an s.e. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back