Unknown valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a sealed CH system and I have a valve which I don't know what its purpose (See pictures below) is. The pipe that feeds in to it is the Primary return of the HW but it also can go below, I guess to the boiler. Could you please advice me what is it for and shall I keep it open or closed?

PS It can be turned endlessly clockwise and anti-clockwise.

Thanks in advance for your help

ivanov2.jpg

Closer View
ivanov1.jpg

Sponsored Links
unfortunately things are not working fine with my CH problems with air in the system etc. as a result of which I've tried many things and once of them is turning this valve so I don't know what was it's initial position that is why I was looking for some advice.

Sponsored Links
If you didn't know what it was or what it did why the hell did you turn it, hope you dont work for the ministry for defense, :rolleyes: Oh I wonder what this big red button marked launch nuclear weapon does BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM

If the large, vertical, cylinder like, silver fitting in the pipe work above the pump is an automatic air vent then this might be the source of your problems.

You could try and turn the cap anticlockwise and see if air comes out, but the best solution would be to get the original plumber back.

Brumlad,

Thanks for you constructive answer unlike the useless one above, which is not even worth the effort to type it. The cylindrical thing is an auto air vent but how this once can be the source of the problem? Do you recon that it may be some air stuck in the bypass and I can release it turning the red handle (which obviously is not missing kevplumb)?

Thanks

Kevplumb what is the red plastic collar for? I would really appreciate a constructive answer.

right in your pic there is a brass shaft with two flats on sticking out of the valve .

the handle to turn it on or off fits on there its been removed to stop people doing exactly what you want to do ie alter the setting .

try a small spanner on it and remember how much you turn it

the red bit looks like a cover .

Kevplumb thanks for the answer. It all makes a lot of sense and this is what I thought initially. However when I turn the red knob the brass shaft is turning with it until it clicks and then I can keep turning it until it clicks again. I'm not sure when it clicks is the valve in a close position or is it regulating the valve at all?

it is possible to close an auto air vent so it no longer functions correctly. Try turning the cap anticlockwise.

This particular auto airvent is a bit different type the the one I have in my boiler with the cap open 1.5 turn. The one in the picture can release air/water when I push the cap but the cap itself can't be screwed. I also tested that it works fine automatically when I filled up the system some air was release during fill up.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Duh, so why did you turn it when you didn't know what it was for.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN let me satisfy your curiosity so hopefully you'll stop posting useless replys!

This valve seemed to me some kind of pump bypass and I thought to check whether it is closed or open. However as I said in my first post I couldn't figure that out because when I turn it clockwise the only thing is that I hear a click after few turns but it keeps turning after that. It turns endlessly anticlockwise as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back