Drying out old plaster - old leak fixed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 100 year old house.
We have a flat roof which was leaking (perhaps for years) but is now fixed. We replaced the roof.

The internal plaster showed signs of damp and I removed the plaster.
Small area of 1 metre square

However, I now have some old damp internal brick work, the internal pointing is poor , dusty - disintegrating.

However, I do not want to do a major job - it would be complicated!
I believe that the house is very structurally sound.

The question is :
Could I just dry out the damp brickwork/pointing and re-plaster. How would I dry it out ? Could I use a blow heater?

What about using batons on the bricks with marine ply on top and then plastering the ply?

All suggestions appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I would let it dry out itself naturally. A good draught will dry it out much better than a blow torch. Once the brickwork has dried out, give it a good clean off,, re-point any areas that might need it, then scratch coat the area with a 4 to 1 sand and cement mix, with a waterproofer/plasticiser in the mix,, just in case any efflorescence/salts come through. Then you can replaster the area.
Plastering onto ply?,,,,,, any ply?,,,,,, NEVER. It'll fall off in sheets.
Plastering onto plasterboard,,, no problem,, maybe that's what you meant.

A final question in the matter.

There had been a leak from a flat roof.
However, the flat roof was replaced about a year ago.

Meanwhile the brickwork,pointing and plastering had got damp.
Even though the roof was replaced about a year ago - should the brick work/plastering still be damp??

I am wondering if the internal plaster somehow "retained" the dampness. I only removed the plaster LAST week and am wondering how long the brickwork/pointing will remain damp.
I guess my question is "why is there dampness even though the roof was replaced a year ago"?

Sponsored Links
drying time, one year per inch thickness, therefore 2 foot wall = 2 years drying time.

I think you will find drying time is around 1" a month...If he goes by your workin' out 1John that would be 24 years :LOL: ;)

oops indeed, sorry for that, damn baby wont let me sleep and i am mightily confused in the mornings, midday, afternoons and evenings.

1 month per inch - 2 foot wall, 24 inches, 24 months drying time

you just leave it to dry itself naturally. it will take time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back