Uneven Paint Colour on section of wall - is it Damp??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My problem is causing me a headache and I am hoping for some advice.....

1 - I am decorating a nursery for our first child...... so its a pretty important room!

2 - On of the walls is on a chimney.

3 - When I have painted my walls, there is a patch, about 1/3 of the way down the wall and about 3ft across - that has dried a darker colour. (we are using Egyptian Cotton colour - matt finish).

4 - I painted the wall twice in the hope I did a bad job of mixing the paint but it came back twice. I also have a history of near perfect painting so its not me and my painting technique!

So - here is some other facts that might help us diagnose the issue:

1 - The flashing round the base of the chimney looks ok. Maybe a little area where water might get down the back of it but it looks pretty ok.

2 - The flaunching on top of the stack resembles some crazy paving with cracks throughout it.

3 - The render on the out-side of the wall looks to of been replaced by the previous owners - and there is an area about 4ft to the right of the "Patch" where some of the render on the outside has blown which will need replacing.

4 - 2 of the 3 chimneys have a rain cap on them - the one on the left, above the patch, doesn't.

5 - there is no evidence on the inside of any plaster blowing. The patch area is slightly colder to the touch as well.

6 - The chimney stack is about 8ft tall.

So here is my question, the patch feels and looks like some kind of damp - although the plaster is sound. Could it be that water is getting down the chimney though either the chimney without the rain cap or though the broken flaunching to soak the top 3ft of the interior wall.

If this is the case, why hasnt the plaster been damaged like it does with rising damp?

Any suggestions / help much much appreciated.

A

Sponsored Links
hi adelewis,
how long have you been in property ,did you notice it before you started ,it could well be damp from when the previous where there and may well have been rectified and the patch needs treating. in which case if its bothering you that much hire a dehumidifier to draw the moisture out ,dont use a heater because that will have no effect at all.if you have succcess with the dehumidifier paint the area as normal ,if it stains like a browny/yellow colour paint the area again with ordinary oil based gloss to hold back the water stain and coat it back up in the matt .it may be a good idea to get a reputable roofer in to have a good look from the top . let me know how you get on

Is there a boiler or gas fire that vents up the chimney? If so that is the culprit.

Try a stain block then paint again. That usually sorts it.

is the chimney out of use? If so, is it vented top and bottom to allow air movement? If not, it will get damp. Chimneys do.

Sponsored Links
Oh boy, your problem shares a lot of similarities with mine! We've had a lot of problems with our chimney, we found the stink pipe was up against it hadn't been properly flashed with lead but had only concrete, had cracked and was slowly letting in water, coming in down the chimney breast and into the loft and down into the top of the bedroom ceiling/wall. We got that fixed but the water kept coming in, and the damp patch spread. We were advised to get the chimney checked out and we had the render removed on the weather facing side, found two holes at the bottom, again the previous owner hadn't had a good job done on it, and so the water had been coming in there, but it wasn't immediately apparent until the render was removed.

Had the chimney re-rendered on three sides, then repainted (it's a one-stack, about two meters high out of the roof). That finally fixed the leak, or so we believe! The brick work below the render on the weather sides (south and west) had a lot of blown mortar. But getting back to your problem, in our case the chimney looked fairly OK but in reality it wasn't at all, the holes were hidden. The top of the chimney had a flue coming out and was sealed over otherwise, but it was thought water might be coming in via that route too, so we had it removed and the chimney sealed over completely (we've had the back boiler removed so no need of a flue). I would indeed suspect damp coming in somehow in your case, and the chimney looks to be the main culprit. I think a fuller investigation would be in order, I hope you can sort it out! :)

My problem is causing me a headache and I am hoping for some advice.....

1 - I am decorating a nursery for our first child...... so its a pretty important room!

2 - On of the walls is on a chimney.

3 - When I have painted my walls, there is a patch, about 1/3 of the way down the wall and about 3ft across - that has dried a darker colour. (we are using Egyptian Cotton colour - matt finish).

4 - I painted the wall twice in the hope I did a bad job of mixing the paint but it came back twice. I also have a history of near perfect painting so its not me and my painting technique!

So - here is some other facts that might help us diagnose the issue:

1 - The flashing round the base of the chimney looks ok. Maybe a little area where water might get down the back of it but it looks pretty ok.

2 - The flaunching on top of the stack resembles some crazy paving with cracks throughout it.

3 - The render on the out-side of the wall looks to of been replaced by the previous owners - and there is an area about 4ft to the right of the "Patch" where some of the render on the outside has blown which will need replacing.

4 - 2 of the 3 chimneys have a rain cap on them - the one on the left, above the patch, doesn't.

5 - there is no evidence on the inside of any plaster blowing. The patch area is slightly colder to the touch as well.

6 - The chimney stack is about 8ft tall.

So here is my question, the patch feels and looks like some kind of damp - although the plaster is sound. Could it be that water is getting down the chimney though either the chimney without the rain cap or though the broken flaunching to soak the top 3ft of the interior wall.

If this is the case, why hasnt the plaster been damaged like it does with rising damp?

Any suggestions / help much much appreciated.

A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back