Hot + Cold Water from same tap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could any of you guys tell me if this idea would be OK for the regs etc ?

At present, I have an outside tap that just supplies cold water, I would like to be able to have the facility to have hot water via this same tap occasionally so what I propose to do is run pipes from the hot and cold feeds via double-check service valves to a tee and then onto the tap.

Would this satisfy the water regs etc ? The hot water is supplied from a separate Hot Water Boiler fed from the Cold Water Main and the Cold is fed via the Main Directly.

Finally, I've been given enough plastic pipe to do the job, so can you buy push-fit double-check valves, or would I have to buy a length of copper for either side of the valves, so they can be soldered/compression fitted ?

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
cant you put a second tap on outside..i've done this for a few customers

Sponsored Links
You are simply making a mixer valve, like on a shower, so with the check valves you should be fine.

Can use compression fittings straight onto the plastic.

I have hot tap in my garden for the paddling pool!

My wife has been watering the plants from the wrong tap for some time now, it seems!

I didn't say a thermostatic mixer valve.

If you have two valves (hot and cold) teed together before the outside tap, then you are manually regulating both flow and temperature, as one does with a non-thermostatic shower valve.

so how do you plan on controling the temp if you use a garden tap ?

The hot water comes from the Boiler which is usually on red-hot all the time anyway. It's mainly for giving the yard a good clean with the old Jeyes Fluid once every week or so. It gets rid of the smell of Dog **** much better when used with hot water.

Thanks for all the replies peeps.

I use plastic bags myself, or even walk the dog now and then...

If you have two valves (hot and cold) teed together before the outside tap, then you are manually regulating both flow and temperature
yes.

You are simply making a mixer valve, like on a shower, so with the check valves you should be fine.
not with check valves you won't control temp.

I use plastic bags myself, or even walk the dog now and then...

Lol, Problem is my pooch could **** for Britain. He never craps in the yard but, especially now with the hot weather so he's drinking loads, he's constantly asking to go out forra ****.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back