Soakaways and Septic tanks - who builds/installs/repairs ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The outlet from the second chamber (the 'liquids' chamber) of my septic tank takes an age to empty into my soakaway, causing obvious problems further upstream if a large quantity of water is suddenly dumped into the system (from an emptied bath for example). It's been like this for years but is getting noticeably worse.

Who/what industry 'body' would I call in to evaluate what needs to be done and, only if absolutely necessary, re-build or install a new soakaway?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could try Klargester, see if they can recommend someone in your area, http://www.kingspanenv.com/ or alternatively seek advice/quotations from local building/groundwork firms who have the knowledge and capability to take on this type of work.

Chances are the soakaway may have clogged up. Not having the tank desludged frequently enough, or the soakaway silting up are often issues. Also depends on ground type and the water table as to how effective a soakway will be. TBH if the soakaway is no longer functioning properly I dont think there are many options other than replacing it.

Thanks. Just out of interest, roughly how much does it cost to build an average soakaway for a small residential property?

Resist the temptation to have the outfall pipe pressure jetted - its just chucking money away. Replacement is what you need.
The people who pump septic tanks out usually have contacts who will put new soakaway pipes in...you can only call for site visits and quotes.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Presuably the outfall pipe in the pipe that goes from the septic tank to the soakaway?

Why is having the pipe pressure jetted not a good idea? Or is it only not a good idea if the soakaway itself is clogged up?

How long would it be before a pressure jetted pipe clogged up again?

Impossible to give an idea of costs, it depends on site conditions, ground etc. Percolation test needs to be carried out to determine the porosity of the soil, then a soakaway can be sized accordingly.

Infrequent desludging of the tank can also lead to problems, whilst it may save money in the short term, it can allow a higher concentration of suspended solids in the outflow which can in itself lead to clogging of the soakaway.

Shouldn't be any great amount of sludge in the pipes or soakaway as I have the tank emptied one every year or so. Of course, I can't speak for the previous owners, so hard to say how it treated before I moved in a few years ago.

Having said that, due to the issues with water taking too long to drain out of the second chamber, maybe that has caused sludge to accumulate?

It's definitely just a slow drainage issue from the septic tank - when the bath was emptied yesterday the usual problems arose, and looking in the chambers the water was higher than usual. The level this morning has returned to 'normal' levels, so the water IS getting out, it's just taking its time about it.

This of course could be an issue with the pipework, the soakaway or, knowing my luck, both!

more than likely the drop pipe to the outlet has dropped right off and is lying @ the bottom of the pit letting the soakaway sludge up . You need an old skool Plumber like me who isn`t frightened to get grubby and won`t mess about with regs. etc. just dig a few access / inspection trenches across the run of the soakaway and you`ll soon see sludge or not . Don`t get any officialdom involved ;) :LOL: PS. you`ll only find Gas Registered certified accredited poncy " Heating Engineers" nowadays ;)

Hi Rollerball,

Have had your problem looked at yet? I can recommend a small company who have just finished some work for myself and my neighbours. You may be a bit too far north from them but it would certainly be worth a call. Their details are on http://draintechsw.co.uk/

Speak to Andy or Mark.

Hope this helps

VB

I had exactly the same problem with a septic tank.

My local friend and i dug down to the outlet pipe which was very easy as its sand.

The outlet pipe had somehow become detached and sand had clogged everything. We dug along it and found it was only 3m long!

I bought 30m of 110mm drainage pipe and drilled 10mm holes every 200mm.

I had to leave but my friend found a JCB man who was waiting for some materials to be delivered and he dug the 30m of trench, laid the pipe and refilled all for £35. My friend probably charged me about £70.

Of course that was an extremely easy case so dont expect anything like that.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back