Philips LCD blowing fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :)

Our Philips LCD 42" TV stopped working the other day. On investigating, the 3amp fuse in the plug had blown.

Replaced the fuse, plugged in the TV, all was well for a good few hours.

Trying to switch the TV on again later and the same thing had happened, no power.

Any ideas as to what's wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
how many watts input is the telly any more than 700w you need a 5 amp [1150w]

Probably needs a new line filter. If you are sure you are using the supplied mains lead (detachable?) I suggest you do not fit a larger fuse rating. The set has worked previously with a 3 amp fuse fitted, yes?

Upping the fuse rating is a good way to start a fire, particularly in an appliance with a faulty mains filter...

Get a repair shop to take a look at the mains input side of the PSU board. My money is on a across the line cap going short circuit, or possibly a chopper transistor failing in the same way.

Leave it unplugged until you get it fixed, the above items are powered all the time it's plugged into the wall, even if turned 'off'

Hope this helps, let us know what they find.

Cheers,

Colin

I agree, a 3A fuse for such a large screen TV? seems too low, but if that's what it came with..so be it.

Personally, I'd rewire the plug, if it isn't a moulded plug, and put a 5Amp fuse in. But that's me personally.

If the lead that came with it is 3A, then I'd suspect a dodgy on/off switch, I've had to replace loads in older Philips sets. Are you getting any patternation on white scenes on the TV? That could point to the power board, which often require tweaking, especially visible on these larger sets, imo.

Had a satellite receiver that kept blowing 3a fuse, when the vacuum cleaner was used. No fault in the sat receiver, fitted a 5a fuse, been going strong for years. Your call. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Very interesting, thanks for your replies, lots of things to look into.

The 3amp power cord was the one that came with it. It is the first time it has gone in 3 / 4 years.

One interesting thing since I have noticed since, it may be bizarre coincidence;

On 19th May we had a power cut, while the LCD was on. The TV was switched off at the plug and when the power came back on 6 hours later, the TV was switched back on and worked, however later that evening was when it stopped working. Since the power cut though, the oven (electric!) doesn't work and the power supply for the wifi has packed up.

Could this be related or just a coincidence?

We had a power surge a few months back. Blew the PSU on my computer. Replaced it and then found out the motherboard had developed a fault as well as the CPU. Perhaps time to invest in an anti surge device for your TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back