External Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of landscaping my garden which will include a Shed, Patio area and Deck area all at different locations in the garden. The deck will be attached to the house, the patio in 1 far corner and the shed in the opposing corner.

I am at the early stages but would like to put in the ground work now so that each area can have the capability for either lighting and/or sockets without having to lift any grass/bedding down the line.

Would it be unreasonable to ask an electrician their advice of what I should do now so that in a couple of months time they would just have to connect everything up?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
You are best asking the advice of an electrician, for best way to route the cable.
In some cases the cable will be routed underground in duct, so the cable can be installed and if ever needs be replaced.
So best get advice prior to starting work and he can help you plan your installation routes and methods.

You are best asking the advice of an electrician, for best way to route the cable.
In some cases the cable will be routed underground in duct, so the cable can be installed and if ever needs be replaced.
So best get advice prior to starting work and he can help you plan your installation routes and methods.

Thanks for that, my inital thoughts were just to lay the conduit around the garden so that the cable can be installed at a later date but I don't know if it would just be easier to put the cable in now.

If there are any electricians in Dunfermline that are interested in helping, let me know! :D

You can either lay the duct, with a rope inside, to pull the cable through at a later date or install the cable. But the cable size will need calculating for your load demand, normally 4.00mm Steel wired armoured cable is suitable, but depending on your load it may need increasing.

Sponsored Links
also some idea of the lengths of cable involved may affect the cable size.

As already mentioned, have a chat to a spark first, it may save you a headache in the future

Do ask a spark. A qualified one will be able to tell you the route and depth that the cable will need to go.

Be prepared to dig a half metre deep trench if your route is under lawn/flowerbed/veg patch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back