Wiring a PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After giving up trying to get an electrician to look at such a small job I thought I'd have a go at swapping the (apparently) failed separate PIR unit for an outside lamp.

Problem is that the unit I've bought, which I was assured was a standard type, has instructions for 3 connections, live, earth and 'N'. The cable going into the old unit has four wires - the earth is not attached, the other 3 wires are a live red to live red, a non-live/non-earth black, going to a blue wire in the unit, and a non-live/non-earth greyish/brown wire going to a greyish/brown wire in the unit - checked which were live/earth etc. using a multimeter.

So before I resort to pleading with an electrician, can anyone advise as to which wire is which?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
do you have a camera? - most people do nowadays.

looking at something is miles easier than trying to imagine what it looks like from a description

user_album_update.php

hope it works, when previewed I had to use the option to 'open image in a new tab'

having reviewed colours my description may not have been totally accurate.

Apologies if I don't respond again immediately, have to pop out. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Here's your pic, Tally. Upload one of the new PIR too.
View media item 22880
What you have there is a live feed, a switched live back to the light, and a neutral.
Are you SURE the new one has an earth terminal, and is not L, swL and N as the old one? What do the instructions say? (scan/photo and upload! :) )

You need to have a look at the connections at the light to find which colours in the 3core+earth cable are what. (upload a photo!)

Not a big deal once we know what's what. :cool:

Your separate PIR will have 4 wires -
permanent live in
neutral
switched live out to the separate light
earth

If you've got a combined PIR+light then you want permanent live, neutral and earth, but you must locate and make safe the wiring to the old lamp.

Sorry for delay. the PIR unit is a TimeGuard NLSB2000 & the relevant wiring diagram is here:

still can't get the piccy to show correctly........

from your first picture, where does the other end of that cable (3C+E) go to?
To a junction box/back of switch i assume?

Ah, that's the big question. I'm now coming around to see that 2 of the wires are + & - supply and the 3rd one is the switched feed to the lamp, which I'm guessing has its own + & - supplies?

The original problem was that after a meter change the lamp was staying permanently on - tried numerous on/off combinations to see if it was a setting in the PIR but came to the conclusion that the unit was faulty, hence the replacement.

Just to make things more complicated, there's no separate switch to permanently turn the unit on/off - it seems to have been wired in directly to either the lighting or ring circuit. The unit is one of a pair on an extension built 3-4 years ago & I don't know who did the original electrics.

I would imagine that you are correct, making the brown and blue the perm live and neutral and the grey sw/live.

However, thats a bit of a guess as the cable cores haven't been sleeved correctly (black should be blue, grey should be brown) who knows what else hasn't been done correctly/as you would expect it?

as you can't tell where its wired from, i suggest you knock the power off to the whole house before making any connections, just in case its wired into a shower circuit or something else

The piccy is of the other (still working) one - wiring layout is nothing to do with me I'm afraid - shall sort it when that one fails......

Right marra, it's no good guessing, you either need to:

Find the instructions for the old one
or
Find where that 3C+E cable goes to (clue: I'll bet a fiver that it goes to the light it's controlling) and take a photo if you're not sure what's what at that end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back