Chimney stack/breast removal advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have read through loads of the posts here but I can't find the answer to my specific query.

My neighbour has had planning approval passed for extensions/modifications - which I have no problem with. Part of his Plan is to remove a redundant chimney breast and shared stack - which i have no problem with as mine is redundant too. So basically he will be sorting out about stack removal and then we will both beremoving the breast from loft to ground floor.

As nothing is going to need 'supporting' do I need to get building reg approval? I realize I may have to get a floor joist popped in and the job itself is HUGELY messy.

Does anyone have any idea of how long this kind of job takes? Would it be wise or foolish to get his builder to do my side too?

All help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Removing a chimney stack/breast is always considered a fairly major structural alteration and you should get building regs involved..

We consider dropping a chimney, stack and breast from top to bottom a straight forward job. The only tricky bit at times is how much making good you have got to do to the jack wall.
Some one can correct me if I am wrong, but you do not need building regulations.
If your neighbour is getting a builder to do his, and you have the shillings to spare ask for a quote for yours as well, unless you don’t mind a bit of hard graft yourself.
Providing flue to bedroom is only single flue two good lads, drop both flues and breasts top to bottom, and load to skip Patch roof and ridge, make good to jacks. Say four and half days but they will say five.
old un.

I put "chimney breast removal" in search and came up with 80 no. posts!
All your Q's are answered there.
However, for the record:

1. planningportal.gov.uk - pdf a Party Wall Act booklet and lots of relevant advice.

2. A Party Wall Agreement is necessary for the planning app's and blg. regs. Two months notice is req. from a neighbour proposing such work.
Brief drawings - plan and sec's - existing and proposed are reqd.

3. Total c/breast removal, partial removal and dropping the stack are different proposals.

4. It's possibly best to pre-sweep all flues.

5. Much making good to walls, ceilings and floors will be req.

6. As a diy'er don't entertain clambering about on roofs, ensure roof ladders are used by the professionals - thats plural ladders and possibly platforms.

7. Seal off all openings/fire places. One brick down the flue and the house is dusted with soot. Meticulous care is req. Not something the Blg. Trade is famous for.

8. If you dont do it yourself then use one builder for all the both sides c/b removal and making good work.

9. Your side costs: £1300 - £1700

Sponsored Links
2. A Party Wall Agreement is necessary for the planning app's and blg. regs. Two months notice is req. from a neighbour proposing such work.
Brief drawings - plan and sec's - existing and proposed are reqd.
As you are both removing chimney breasts and stack, I suppose you should both issue each other with a written notice. :rolleyes: See the planning portal again. There are proforma letters in the explanatory booklet so you can do it yourselves. You can agree to waive the notice period. You should get a Structural Engineer to give you instructions to proceed safely. Once you have exchanged notice and acceptance, I think you get some protection under the Act. These might be useful documents when you sell as they show the work was agreed etc.

Have a chat with your LA Planning Dept because removing the chimney stack can require planning permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back