OFTEC and boiler servicing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Easy question for a change.

Does an Oil Boiler serviceman need to be OFTEC registered ?

I had my boiler serviced this week and was told that OFTEC registation was not required for service, only for commisioning.

I have been involved in engineering maintenance for 50 years, the guy did a good thorough job, he knew what he was about, but the OFTEC comment seemed strange in this day and age of regulation.

Bernard

Sponsored Links
Dont need to be oftec for commisioning either if you get LBC in, oil isn't regulated (enforced) the same as gas.

There are two categories to consider.
1. Qualifications (Assessments through OFTEC approved training centre)
2. Registration (of a self cert competency scheme eg OFTEC / NICEIC etc)

You do not need any qualifications or registration to service.
You do need to hold OFTEC or equivelent registration to commission. There are other registration bodies for oil but the required assessment to join is through OFTEC.

You don't need anything to install either, if you get LABC in. However they shouldn't pass it unless first commissioned by the aforementioned. Assuming LABC understand the procedure themselves.

Sponsored Links
All LABC do is charge you at least £100 to see a CD11 Certificate completed by a Registered OFTEC Engineer..in other words it's the commissioning engineers responsibillity to ensure that the system is compliant...guess who will get the blame if it all goes pear shaped :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back