BAD CENTRAL HEATING INHIBITER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had a bad experience with Wicks Rapid Dose Sealed System inhibitor applicator ? Or is it just me?
I have been plagued with leaks from my boiler over the years while happily applying the Wickes Inhibiter. Then I began to take notice of the black 'gunk' around the filling loop (were I was appling it), and also on the adapter which comes in the kit. I suddenly realized the 'gunk' was the black seals perishing and disintigrating on these parts.
I now wonder if it has been doing this to the seals in the boiler over all these years !!!

Sponsored Links
Im sure even though the wickes stuff is not as good as sentinel,this will not cause problems to your system

It all has to be made to certain British standards and build cert approval ,there must be other underlying problems with the heating system

Sponsored Links
You may be right happy but I do recall the Vaillant seals problem on the dv's of yester yor were blaimed on certain inhibitors.

When Baxi took over the company making the Alpha 240/280 the company thought they could get away with cheaper seals in their dv's and problems errupted.

I have a mate who has fitted afew of the 5 year guarantee Ferrolis and I have spent quite a bit of time sealing them properly for him aftermarket (as he can get me same day, a 5 year guarantee is only worth the call out time after all)

So seals inside boilers are not to be taken lightly. Manufacturers may well be specifying products such as sentinel for a very good reason. I wouldn't like to gamble over the issue.

Neutral ph clean system water is all you really need. Least amount of additives the better.

Neutral ph clean system water is all you really need. Least amount of additives the better.

But how do you keep the water ph neutral without additives ? - I agree it shouldn't be overdone, but every time a leaking system is topped up the concentration of inhibitor in the water is diluted.

If there is insufficient inhibitor in a system the slightly acidic water will cause galvanic corrosion to occur between the copper pipes, brass fittings and the steel radiators, producing hydrogen gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back