Cooker hood extraction distance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to fit a new hob and hood where the intended positioning is a fair distance from the nearest external wall.

I plan on running some ducting from the hood, up into the ceiling then along to the outside wall. This distance will be about 15 to 16ft (approx 5metres in new money :)). The hood I've chosen is at the following link, do any of you have an opinion as to whether this is likely to be powerful enough to cover that distance?

http://www.belling.co.uk/cooking/hoods_det.asp?hoodID=17

It states a max extraction rate of 281m(cubed) per hour, is this adequate, if not what sort of power should I be looking for?

Cheers,

Ian

Sponsored Links
I have no idea what so ever, why not contact the manufacturers? you should also consider the number of pipe bends, but as i said dont ask us, ask them

Most hoods I've come across only recommend a maximum distane of 3 -3.5 metres. What sort of property do you live in? if its a bunglow there no reason why you cant vent straight up through the roof.

having said that, most extractors are more powerful than tumble dryers (i think and i know im going to get it in the neck if im wrong). ive vented mine along a 2 metre vertical and a 4.5 metre horizontal run through plastic rectangular ducting and it works fine (tumble dryer that is) i would have thoght it would be fine for a kitchen extractor ( he says waiting for the wrath of breezer et all to come down) :D

Sponsored Links
I think the main limiter with a cooker hood is the grease filter, this of course isnt present in a tumble dryer. There is the lint filter but air will probably flow freely through this.

Would be interesting to see what effect it would have on your long piperun though if you did put a pices of grease filter across the outlet of the td.

Cheers for the replies.

There is a floor above the kitchen so going straight up isn't an option. However I've spotted a more powerful extractor (380m(cubed)/hour) so I may try and exchange mine and get the more powerful one just in case.

Cheers for the advice/useful comments,

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back