Wiring a transfortmer to a 3-pin plug for lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I know a bit about electrics but only basic DIY stuff. So, just wanted to check the following:

Have 2 x 20W halogen Ikea lights that mount on top of wardrobes. The built in transformer plugs were previously cut off and wired into a transformer that was wired into a lighting circuit so that they came on with the lights.

I have now removed 2 of these lights from a total of 4 to another room and would like to connect them up again.
My thoughts are to
a) buy this http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lig...ronic+Transformer+12v+105w/d220/sd2638/p67666 transformer (the 12v 105W one)
b) wire one end to a 3-pin plug - it seems the transformer does not have an earth - assume it's double insulated? Also, what wire would I need?
c) wire other end of transformer into junction box where the 4 cables of the lights are wired into.

Main questions relate to b) above so would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks big time in advance.
[/url]

Sponsored Links
I have now removed 2 of these lights from a total of 4 to another room and would like to connect them up again
This bit I dont understand. Makes no sense.

What are you planning to do with these lights?

There are currently 4 of these lights mounted to wardrobe tops, connected into a junction box, then into a transformer and finally into the lighting circuit.

We are moving half of the wardrobes and so I have un-wired 2 of the lights and left the other 2 as they were previously.

Essentially I want to replicate the same setup in the other room but terminating in a 3 pin plug rather than the lighting circuit.

Hope this clarifies.

OK the plan you describe sounds fine - use twin flex for the mains suppy. Fix the Tx to the top of the wardrobes.

Use a junction box with strain relief.

Sponsored Links
Steve,

Thanks a lot. Ordered and on it's way!

Ban-all-sheds,
In case I want to add more lights in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back