idea of costs for a small single storey extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK folks am in north hampshire. 1970's box house. Looking to put a small single storey extension on the back of the garage to extend the kitchen out sideways. The house is link detached so basically there is a wasted space behind the garage. Total size would be about 3 x 4. Put doorway in to link to garage, take out whole side wall of existing kitchen. The third side is a party wall with neighbours existing extension. Then a window to go on the back wall. A new boiler would be needed and would need to be moved to opposite wall (by 3 m). Would probably go flat roof as that is what most of the neighbours have. Would need it fitted to a level ready to put kitchen in. Any ideas on what this might cost in this area? Also realistically how long should I allow for it to be done? Huge thanks.

Sponsored Links
Depends how much you plan to do yourself i.e digging founds etc and if you have any friends who are in the trade.

As a rule of thumb people say between £800-1000 per m2 for someone to come in and do it all for you. If you know any small local builders it maybe cheaper or it may not.

Are you sure about a flat roof as over the years they can leak and need replaced.

Go off recommendations and get at least 3 quotes

I wish my house was down south then, here in central Scotland we reckon on 1250 - 1500 / m2 for the basic box. Obviously there are a lot of idle builders down south.

Move and uprate your boiler, £3k

Shift a door, £1k

Knock through, £5k

Add kitchen units etc £5k - £15k

Fees, £2k

If you have plans to building warrant standard, there are companies online that will price the job for you so you can see what builders are taking the mickey. Last time I looked they charged about £150 for a 24hr turn around.

DIYWell, Your post makes no sense at all to me. Could you please explain what the move boiler, shift door etc, etc is meant to mean.
old un

Sponsored Links
"nd go then ...

OK folks am in north hampshire. 1970's box house. Looking to put a small single storey extension on the back of the garage to extend the kitchen out sideways. The house is link detached so basically there is a wasted space behind the garage. Total size would be about 3 x 4.
3 x 4 = 12 m2 @ £1250 - £1500 m2 = £15k - £18k

Put doorway in to link to garage,
Door to garage would be a fire door = £1k

take out whole side wall of existing kitchen. The third side is a party wall with neighbours existing extension.
Sounds like a couple of I beams = £5k+ depends on the span

Then a window to go on the back wall.
Cut a hole, lintol, window, say £1k

A new boiler would be needed and would need to be moved to opposite wall (by 3 m).
New boiler and fitting £3k

Would probably go flat roof as that is what most of the neighbours have. Would need it fitted to a level ready to put kitchen in.

You'll need to pay for at least an architectural technician to do the planning and building warrant drawings, local council fees, structural engineer to spec the beams and lintols. Fees perhaps £2k

Total guestimate £30k ex VAT and contingency to get to a room ready to paint, floor and fit a kitchen in it.

Any ideas on what this might cost in this area? Also realistically how long should I allow for it to be done? Huge thanks.
Round this way it would be anywhere between 10 and 16 weeks. Depends on whos managing the work and who has access to the right trades at the right time.

I'm no builder, I'm taking my figures from the estimates I've had to do a similar build later this year.

I think I may have to forget it then as I was looking to do it all in for about 30K and I'm not sure the area justifies that amount of money. Maybe I'll just fit a fancy kitchen in place of my old and knackered one.

Do not let the 'advice' given by a DIYWell put you off. It is impossible to give accurate quotes on a Forum when you have (despite what you might think) given extremely brief information as to what it is you require having done. There's a rule on the Forum somewhere saying do not ask for quotes as only very rough guess can be given out and for the very good reason that are experiencing. The only way you can get accurate prices for this kind of mismatched job is to get some drawings produced and then get some quotations from builders. None of the professionals on here have given you a guesstimate because we can't given the scant information.

It's not going to cost you anything to get someone round and have a look.

But that's the point though, 'having a look' is a waste of time, any self respecting builder will shrug his shoulders and ask for something tangible to quote from.

But that's the point though, 'having a look' is a waste of time, any self respecting builder will shrug his shoulders and ask for something tangible to quote from.

Plenty of builders would come and look. I've got rough plans drawn and builders have been giving an idea of cost. It's not hard to give an idea of the cost for building a shell if you go onsite and look at a job. Obviously until proper plans are drawn an accurate price or quote can't be given

Exactly.

My 'advice' is a guess given my experience. I'm also the only one to throw some figures around. Pretty easy to say "go ask a builder".

Any good builder will estimate against PA drawings but will want BW drawings to go to a quote.

If you reckon your budget is £30k then work with that. See if you can find a local builder who is willing to visit you and talk through your ideas.

My experience is some are willing to do it, but if they ask 'what's your budget?' tell them nothing otherwise they'll guess to fit your number and you'll get a surprise when you get a quote.

I think most people would be suprised at the amount of building work carried out with no drawings or specifiacation. I get a steady number of instructions from solicitors to produce reports on building works which have gone bad for one reason or another. I don't have exact figures but I reckon at least half the time there are no drawings at all. Nothing whatsoever. The other half are nearly always working off of planning drawings that have no detail or specification and usually have no dimensions.

Almost all these are where the householder 'got a few builders around'.

Plenty of builders would come and look. I've got rough plans drawn and builders have been giving an idea of cost. It's not hard to give an idea of the cost for building a shell if you go onsite and look at a job. Obviously until proper plans are drawn an accurate price or quote can't be given
Precisely.

You're missing the point, they want a rough idea from people on here not a firm price to the penny :confused:

If they have a budget of 30k and a builder comes round to have a look, which most decent builders would do, and tells then to get the shell up you could be talking £35k-£42k then they'll know it's out of budget and no point spending money on proper plans to get a fixed quote

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back