Newbie Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This entire house is in need of at least re-skimming. I am not at all experienced with plastering but bought some books, tutorial CDs, watched Youtube videos and will keep replastering a small room until I am satisfied my finish is good enough to do the whole place.

A question for you all is, do you recommend I leave the old bonding/browning plaster on there or hack it off and use plasterboard?

The plasterboard seems to provide better looking finish especially for a newbie, and gives a great place to hide pipes and wires.

On the other hand, if you think a newbie can learn to achieve just as good a finish by say re-skimming this old bonding plastered room 5 times then they may take that route.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
if the walls are sound then just reskim the rooms, the plasterboard option is not viable in my opinion, by the time you put up the new board which you have paid for you might have well have put that money towards getting a spread in, also i would not skim and reskim a room 5 times as this would create an unusual amount of thickness, and being applied by a diyer will result in unevenness all around the room, if you want to practice the best bet is to get some plasterboard and practice skimming that, or if you have the whole house to do how about a weekend plastering course? that will show you the basics and then you will maybe have some confidence to have a go yourself

the big plus point of plasterboard is it makes the wall a heck of a lot warmer and gives good sound insulation. However, it always looks and sounds cheap. So take your pick.

The only reason I am DIY this plaster is because we had a "plasterer" in and he bodged it. The weekend plastering course seems very basic and looks like it teach you the same thing in the dvd called "Mastering Plastering".

You recommend I practice skimming on some drywall. Should I build a frame and hang it so it's like a real wall or is just skimming bits of drywall I screwed onto a wall sufficient? Could even tape them together with the paper tape and practice that like that. I got a lot of drywall off-cuts because I ripped down run of the ceilings the "pro" wrecked and put up a new drywall ceiling.

I really don't have the money to pay for another builder to bodge it up and if I can learn from videos and advice from real plasterers on here it would be doing myself and my mum a massive favour.

I can at least try it myself first to see if I need the course right?

What's the pro spreads opinions on the "Mastering Plastering" DVD and it's accompanying manual?

Sponsored Links
try d&ding the box room out first m8te use skrim for the joints PVA the boards m8te trust me it helps with seting times take off the skirts if you can for reboarding and skimming if you need a plasterer to shadow you point out things and help you board prep mix skim im happy to help out m8te not a prob trust if its a reskim m8te youll need a hand if your skimming over new board then use board finish nice and creamy if you are skimming over old walls then use muilti finish

I have never seen a plastering DVD except for one on venician plastering, and i doubt any of the peeps on here have either, you need to watch someone in 'real time' but you should definatly give it a go, there are countless posts on here with mountains of excellent info and tips on, and if you have any specific questions then ask all you like. i have completly skimmed three bedrooms and the bathroom in my house and also done a ceiling for a family member, i have watched plasterers over the years and when it came to my house I just did it, and it was ok, i have seen worse done that had been by a 'plasterer' on the other hand i have seen better too. I have experience through various jobs of working with plaster, be it filling chases or tape and jointing.

You need the confidence to do it and one thing in your favour is that if you fluff it, you just leave it to dry, PVA over it and do it again, it's cost you £5 or so, no big deal really.

I only use multi finish, I would advise you do the same, no matter what substrate as you get used to working with one product, it goes on plasterboard / drywall fine anyway. I have never pva'd a plasterboard and dont think i ever will, infact sometimes on some smaller walls I want the stuff to go off quicker so i can crack on!

Perhaps a weekend course may be beneficial to you, even if you just learn to skim, as thats all you need to do, patching things up with bonding s&c ect is something you can ask on here about although or look up in the forum, you wont need to be re rendering anything will you?

I’d just keep practicing and practicing on a board first until you are happy with the results. . I’m learning plastering and have put plasterboard onto a wooden frame and just leaned the frame against the wall. Perhaps easier for me having had the benefit of a year’s college tuition. I’d try and get some tuition, preferable college or video (able skills) because technique is important even though there seems to be various styles of skimming which can be things a bit confusing.

The only reason I am DIY this plaster is because
we had a "plasterer" in and he bodged it.

You didn't have a "plasterer" in Mr Bodge,,, you had "a chancer" in, who thought he could do the job. You now have the result!! There are many out there who think they are up to the job, but they're not. Maybe your bodger watched a DVD and thought,, "that looks easy, i can do that no problem",,, yeah right!!! I wouldn't even let him wash my trowel.
Hands on,, and practice in real time, is the only way to learn!!!

hi there, i also bought that dvd ( mastering plastering ) when i was curious about plastering. i have to say i have never looked back, but please beware it is very hard work and takes a long time to get to even a decent standard. after watching the dvd i bought a trowel and hawk plus buckets etc and had a go on some boards. have a go on a wall in a room where no one will see. i have been plastering for 2 years now and have received some great advise off the guys on this site. read through the posts you will learn more off this site than you will off that dvd or youtube.

practise, practise, practise,

also its worth getting a decent mixer if your thinking about doing the whole house :LOL:

good luck mate

crack on lad get your self a really good trowel man you need a good trowel man
(MT) trowels are the muts nuts
cost say £45 for a good one m8te amd a nice wisk too you can get a nice trowel and wisk on ebay

A good trowel does not make a good plasterer T/A,, it's only as good, as the person using it. :cool:

If the chap put some plasterboard up for practice. Is there any maximum number of skims that you would advise? Would it affect skim result? I know weight of dried plaster maybe a consideration.

A good trowel does not make a good plasterer T/A,, it's only as good, as the person using it. :cool:
Them’s sound words from wiser than me ;) ;
Me favorite of several I have is still an 11 inch B&Q jobby I’ve had since I started; 6 years ago, now minus the comfort grip handle but I'll match anyone for quality if not speed :LOL:

phew, I think nobody spoted that one :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back