Ring Mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I correct in assuming that both ends of a ring main should be supplied from the same MCB. Logic tells me that this has to be so.

Am I also correct in assuming that an MCB should feed one and only one ring main ??

The installation is further complicated in that night storage heaters could have been supplied at one point. That being the case what would a blue MCB (16A) have been used for. :confused:

Sponsored Links
strummer said:
Am I correct in assuming that both ends of a ring main should be supplied from the same MCB. Logic tells me that this has to be so.
Absolutely yes.

Am I also correct in assuming that an MCB should feed one and only one ring main ??
Yes

The installation is further complicated in that night storage heaters could have been supplied at one point. That being the case what would a blue MCB (16A) have been used for. :confused:
Night Storage Heaters?

Yes

Yes a 32 amp MCB normally

Night storage heater are normally wired on separate circuits backed by a 16 amp MCB ,these are normally in a separate cu, to the normal house circuits cu ie, lights,sockets,cooker etc.

edited to correct quote ;)

Thanks alot. That was exactly what I wanted to know, but I might be back.

Sponsored Links
strummer said:
as already said ABSOLOUTELY YES
strummer said:
Ideally yes but theres nothing dangerous about doubling them up it just means you are limited to 32A total acrross the two rings.

strummer said:
usually used for dedicated appliance cuircuits for appliances up to just over 3KW or single socket cuircuits that used to be dedicated appliance cuircuits. The appliances in question are usually those that draw power for extended periods such as fixed space heaters (both direct and storage) and immersion heaters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back