Shower pump plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I'm installing a shower pump and have a question.
I want the unit to sit on the floor, but that would mean I need an extra 3 foot of piping to reach down and the same to get back up to the pipe.
Can I use white flexi pipe or would it have to be copper?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Flexi pipe (if you mean plastic barrier pipe) is fine. I'd recommend Hep20 grey pipe with John Guest Speedfit fittings if you are going to use plastic.

Make sure its all clipped tightly too.

Should run 22mm pipe from CWSC and DHWC to the pump and then can take it in 15mm to the shower valve

Sorry, I'm a novice, can you explain CWSC and DHWC please?

Also, the pipe runs up through the attic to the shower, is it a bad idea to have the pump in the attic? I get the general impression that it would be, air traps etc, so I wanted to put it in the airing cupboard, but it would be much simply to stick it in the attic!

And one last thing, I did ask this in the electrical but as yet no reply, could I wire a plug to the pump or does it have to be wired to a wall fuse box (spur?)

Cheers

I want the unit to sit on the floor
You don't!
Buy a couple of high density concrete blocks and put them on the floor, with the pump atop that. The pump can jiggle about but if it does it on the floor it'll be LOUD. The mass of the blocks means they won't move much. The pump should have rubber feet. You need surprisingly small soft feet to isolate the vibrations.
Some people use carpet or underlay but it squashes quite quickly.
A layer under the concrete might help a bit.

Sponsored Links
Cold water storage cistern (tank in the loft)
Hot water storage cylinder

Use a "flange " such as an Essex, Warix or Surrey.

It should be on its own spur but many aren't. And RCD protected.

is it a bad idea to have the pump in the attic?
Yes. Explanation is long - best with a better head of water behind it.

I want the unit to sit on the floor
You don't!
Buy a couple of high density concrete blocks and put them on the floor, with the pump atop that. The pump can jiggle about but if it does it on the floor it'll be LOUD. The mass of the blocks means they won't move much. The pump should have rubber feet. You need surprisingly small soft feet to isolate the vibrations.
Some people use carpet or underlay but it squashes quite quickly.
A layer under the concrete might help a bit.

Thanks for the tip

Ok, thanks, probably should have said it's a single impeller, so I'm going for hot only

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back