wire from meter to consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im moving my consumer unit, are there any regulations or safety reasons to stop me plastering the cable between the two into my wall where there will also be a ring main cable in the same chase?

someone (not a qualified electrician just a diy er) told me he thinks the cable is meant to be surface mounted and visable because its always live. is this correct?

Sponsored Links
you cannot bury the cable in the wall because it's not armoured, will be less than 50mm from the surface and won't be RCD protected..

how far are you moving the CU?

Sponsored Links
Do you have any suggestions to how I can do this? I need to move the consumer unit 8 ft from the meter. It goes from under a kitchen bench to above a kitchen cupboard so it needs to be hidden. If I can't plaster it in could I box it in? Or is this the same problem?

Thanks.

really? what about TT installs then?

Come on - you know what he means!:) The sort of RCD required to protect the OP's buried tails, a 30ma, would (arguably) not be allowed to protect a whole installation. A TT install, on the other hand, would (normally) have a 100ma time delay RCD which is allowed to protect a whole installation with 30ma's downstream, but which isnt sufficient to protect the buried tails.

ok, you're right and I was just being awkward.. I've had a few drinks for medicinal reasons ( can't spell purpouses properly. )

Purposes is spelled just fine. It's porpoises you seem to be having trouble with.

Sorry - I'll get me coat. Think I need to go to bed myself...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back