Adding a phone extension point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is a new build finished around 4 years ago - in the best spirit of cutting corners the current phone installation is a bit of a bodge job.

There is a white cable which comes in from the grey BT socket on the street which literally was stuck through a drilled hole in the wall into the garage, left loose hanging up the back of that wall and it then goes up under the ceiling/floor above where there is a basic phone point in the room above (i.e not a proper BT white master socket) and that is the only phone point which currently exists in the house.

I have just finished a garage conversion into a study and as my computer and office phone will be in there I want to put a phone socket in that room for ADSL and voice.

I do not want to use adapters and extensions etc from the current socket (mainly due to distance and cable runs etc) so can I simply cut that phone cable, strip back the wires on the two cut ends and then put both into a phone socket (i.e. put both blue wires into the relevant slot on the socket) or is it more complicated than that? If I can't do that is there anything I can do on that cable to give me phone/internet access in the new study while still maintaining the current phone socket as it has Sky etc connected to it and removing it would mean having to run extensions all the way up the stairs and so on which would defeat the purpose?

Thanks

Jase

Sponsored Links
Four years ago the new external BT connection boxes were not in use, so you should have an internal NT5 box connected to the BT line that is covered with the grey external box.
BT should have provided this so I suggest you check why it is not in place, and ask them to provide it.
All of your internal wiring should then come from "your" side of that box.

From your description, you could "cut" the white wire from the external BT box and attach it to a new NT5 box. The best would be a filtered/adapted NT5 box, (Cost about £20) and from this you could run the white wire upto the existing internal connection socket, AND add wiring to new telephone sockets. Further wires could then be added from other connections in the box to provide an ADSL (broadband) supply to B/B sockets.
This would avoid any need to use individual filters on all the phone sockets.
CAT 5 wire for the B/B circuit is required.
The existing "bit of white wire" between the new NT5 and the BT external box, though may not be the best, so replace it whilst doing the job.
However, BT really should supply and fix an NT5 box, and you might be able to "persuade" the fitter to utilize the filtered box, and save yourself the job of swapping it.
www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm

Come back if you need more info.[

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back