Gainsborough 10.5 Deluxe Electric Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a Gainsborough 10.5 Deluxe Electric Shower installed in our en-suite bathroom and has been there since we moved in around 3 years ago. Have had no problems with it until now.

One morning, just after my girlfriend had used the shower, I turned the shower on and the water was running cold. The pressure of the water was as normal but it was just running cold. If you turn the stat right up the water does get warm but the pressure drops right off. I assume the electrical side is all ok, I don't have access to a meter to check. Seems like some sort of thermostat/heating element problem?

Suggestions? Scrap the shower and get a new one? Is it worth sorting the existing problem?

If I was to replace the shower which would be the most compatible to go in place of the Gainsborough?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Seems like some sort of thermostat/heating element problem?
If you turn the stat right up the water does get warm but the pressure drops right off

Electric showers do not have thermostatic control. You basically just adjust the flow of water through it. The slower the flow, the hotter the water.

Sounds like the heater is kaput.

If I was to replace the shower which would be the most compatible to go in place of the Gainsborough?

Another Gainsborough of the same model!

100% sounds like a fault on the element side
you can't test the elements on these they are a sealed engine and are only replaceable at a cost of about £60 for the engine.

personally i would change the shower for a new one but don't fit another
Gainsborough they are the worst shower about.

their are plenty others that will fit in the mira, triton range.

Seco

Are there any mira or triton showers you would recommend?

What sort of price would you pick one up for?

Sponsored Links
triton will be less work than mira as most triton water/elec supplies are on the right same as yours.

the triton excite isn't bad coming in at about £125 for a 9.5kw
Martinique 10.5kW coming in about £160 the list go's on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back