shower electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had 10.5kw electric shower for about a year now. recently starting smelling bad then blew the trip switch. :mad: is my cable to small, although i am sure it is the thickest you can get, or could it be sommit else :confused: ?

Sponsored Links
What is the fuse/mcb size ie 40 amp,50?

Is it protected with an RCD?
What blows?
What smells,trip, the isolater switch or the shower unit it's self?

Is the cable the same as electric cooker cable(if you have one),or bigger?
What is the distance from fuse board to the shower?

More information required

sorry! bit thick :oops: . what is RCD? cable same if not bigger than cooker. cable around 8 metres and its the pull switch that smells me thinks and that is very hot to touch after use. nothing really blew it was just the trip switch.
is it strange how it has been fine for a year now, then suddenly starts to go funny on me :confused:

notgotfoggyest said:
sorry! bit thick :oops: . what is RCD? cable same if not bigger than cooker. cable around 8 metres and its the pull switch that smells me thinks and that is very hot to touch after use. nothing really blew it was just the trip switch.
is it strange how it has been fine for a year now, then suddenly starts to go funny on me :confused:

find out what size the cable is then come back. the RCD is usually twice as wide as the MCB and hasw a T or Test button. and what size os the MCB?

Sponsored Links
pull switch that smells me thinks and that is very hot to touch after use

Try this for size:

1) Bad connection (or over-run contact) in pull switch gets b****y hot.

2) Plastic parts of switch burn and carbonize.

3) Carbon conducts electricity.

4) Carbonization spreads across to other side of switch and starts to carry current.

5) Switch gets even hotter.

6) Carbonization accelerates until --

7) Trip switch does it's job and prevents a fire.

Was the isolator switch installed at the same time as the shower?

If the shower was a replacement for a smaller one (say 7.5kw) ,it could be that your isolator switch is not the correct size and there fore not designed to take the current, that your 10.5kw shower would draw.
ie in the region of 45amps.

If you feel confident , first isolate shower supply at the cu.
Remove cover screws of the shower isolator ,are the switch terminal screws loose check
Remove the isolator switch ( making a note of what is connected to what),the current rating will me stamped on the switch in amps, if not 45 or above replace with a suitable new one,or if it looks damage in any way.

Check all cables make sure there is no signs of over heating,ie is the red or brown going black in colour ,is the plastic coating crumbling leaving bare copper showing.

This could mean the cable is undersized and might need to be replaced.
If the terminal screws were loose this could account for the problem as
felix suggested and remaking the cable could be all that is required.

However
I would suggest calling in an electrician to check things out .

cheers for your help everybody :p , discovered a bad connection due to the cable being disturbed during insulation being laid in loft :eek: wires were touching and melting, then smelling. all cables and switches were the correct sizes, but thanks again for confirming those :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back