Not a ring, not really a radial...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I've just been looking at my heating circuits (I have all electric heating with storage and panel heaters), and I've noticed that I have 3 panel heaters running from the same mcb. They're not in a radial or ring circuit - each heater has it's own 2.5t+e coming from the same mcb. This isn't something I've come across before so just thought I'd ask if this was ok or if there is a reason to get it changed.

Each heater is 1.5kw, it's 2.5t+e, and a 20A mcb.

If I haven't explained it well enough please say.

Thanks

Conor

Sponsored Links
That is still classed as a radial circuit and as such is absolutely fine. :)

Ok, cheers guys.

Just hadn't seen it before so thought I'd ask.

Yep, each heater has a fused switch.

Thanks

Conor

Sponsored Links
Not quite absolutely fine IMHO.

3 x 1.5kW = 4.5kW, so slightly over 18A at 240V.

If it's a 20A MCB then that will usually provide adequate protection for 2.5mm.

However there is no spare capacity if a larger heater is installed.

It would be better to have them on separate MCBs, or at least double up rather than triple up. It's a little bit of a bodge - is there a shortage of ways in the CU?

If the circuit had consisted of a 2.5mm² cable leaving the CU, and running to 3 heaters in turn, each on a switched FCU, would you have the same criticisms?

If a larger heater is installed it will become only a problem then (a minor one, assuming spare ways are available), the only deficiency with it currently is that if it trips it takes out 3 heaters which may be a large part or all of your central heating (no different from most central heating systems though, being on a single MCB . . .)

So . . . absolutely fine and not a problem

I would say it is quite well thought out, if anyone wants to install a larger heater, they can take that circuit off the current MCB and onto another one suitable for the cable and new load.

If the circuit had consisted of a 2.5mm² cable leaving the CU, and running to 3 heaters in turn, each on a switched FCU, would you have the same criticisms?

Yes.

At least with 3 cables to the MCB it will be easy to separate into individual circuits if required.

On the other hand, running in turn it would be easier to turn it into a ring!

Either way is parsimony.

Not quite absolutely fine IMHO.

Bucking follcoks.

I suppose my B32 6mm cooker circuit is not absolutely fine, because I might want to install an 18kW induction furnace.

Stop trying to make yourself look impressive by spouting nonsense.

Thanks.

A radial may have any topology.
So it's OK.
It is a radial circuit

And the circuit design completely follows the requirements for cable selection.

Ib <= In <= Iz

If you change Ib then the design has to change.

But the OP has not suggested that he needs a larger heater. That has been added - to confuse things - by Mr DIYer.

Cheers for all the thoughts

The heaters are staying, so no problems in regard to increasing heater size.

I couldn't see a problem with it, but thought I'd ask in case there was so I've no plan to get it changed to a ring or split them to different mcbs.

Thanks

Conor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back