Problem with new upvc patio door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A neighbour has just had her ageing aluminium patio doors replaced with upvc. (8ft 6in wide). There are a few problems with doors as listed below.

1. The door doesn't close properly. When you slide the door shut , when the leading edge reaches the frame it stops. You have to pull the door towards the room using both hands, one on the handle and one on the trailing edge to get the door fully closed. The fitter explained to the lady that there is some play in these doors, as though this was normal and that's how you had to close it. I certainly don't think it's normal or acceptable.
My question is, is this likely to be a problem caused in the manufacturing or is it in the fitting?

2. The locking handle is difficult to move, possibly because of above.

3. The door leaks. When I did a water test using a watering can there was water in the channel that the door slides in. This was standing and didn't appear to be draining away, there was a lot more water than I would have expected. I tried a similar test on my patio doors and hardly any water was present in the channel. I couldn't see any drain holes in the channel where the water was standing, in my doors the drain holes were clearly visible. Again the poor sealing is poss caused by 1. above.
My question is where should the drain holes be in this channel be and how many should there be and should there some sort of fall to allow proper drainage? There is also some water leakage from the static window part , I assume this is the seal between the frame and the glass.

4. She asked for white handles to go with the white upvc frame, she got chrome. As the flat has more traditional style of furnishings, the chrome doesn't really look right, is it a big job to change the handles?

I'm asking the above questions so that we don't get fobbed off when we get the company back.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a really poor fit, get the company back to remove it and fit it properly, as fot the handles tell them to supply and fit the right ones at the same time...

Well they been back and adjusted the door so it now closes properly, changed the handles to white, looks much better. The locking lever is now easy to operate.

Drainage holes in track channel were covered, by corresponding holes in threshold step not being cut-out, this has now been rectified. However more water than I think should is getting into track channel. I think the main cause of this is the threshold step being inclined towards the door instead of away from it. (Had a spirit level on it)

Am I right in assuming that the fall on this step should be directing water away from the door and not towards it?

What I mean by the threshold step is the piece of plastic on the bottom of the frame that the bottom of the door forms a seal with.

Sponsored Links
If there is any standing water in the track system, then it has been fitted incorrectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back