Height of a Wash hand Basin

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a worktop type wash hand basin for the downstairs loo and need to build out the frame before the plumber comes to fit the sink.

What is the standard height for a wash hand basin? (ie the height of the top lip and I can work back the way)

Sponsored Links
hold it up to your belt hight, the plumber will need it to a hight he can wee in.
crude but true :rolleyes:

Whatever height is comfortable for you.

In the absence of any specific instructions, plumbers tend to put basins at their waist height, because that's comfortable for them.

The only fixed height is for a pedestal basin, and that's only so the pedestal fits!

Sponsored Links
Generally around 32" but as Jack said.......phish height

I believe Tamz to be correct on this matter, 32" the average inside leg measurement, derived during victorian times so a Gentleman could wash his willy in a public loo should the need arise.

Yup, when I was doing G&G the teacher was doing his chalk drawing on the blackboard, sketch of a basin with "cock_high" written next to it. One of those things that gets passed down the generations!

Wash basins should finish at the same height as a work surface in the kitchen 900mm. If you are shorter in height than the average person 5' 6" then you should knock this off the height of your finish height of your wash basin I.E if you are 3" less than the average then knock 75mm off. Do make sure that the average height in your household reflects your decision as falling into a sink whilst washing can cause issues!

So what do you do if the husband is 6' 7" and the wife only 4' 7" ?

So what do you do if the husband is 6' 7" and the wife only 4' 7" ?
I had a job fitting in a counter top basin for a customer, as I was not advised of the height of the basin I chose the middle range, when finished the husband was more than pleased but his wife had to stand on a box to use it.
I was called back the following day spent most of the morning listening to the husband and wife arguing about the height ( almost grounds for Divorce !!)
I lowered the basin to its lowest level, the husband was not pleased
The joys of Plumbing .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back